1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser freeze up

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by duxford, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duxford

duxford Thread Starter

Hi All,
    Lately I`ve begun to experience a new problem on my iMac. Whether I`m on Safari or Firefox, both of them lock up when I call up a web site and then further, call up something on that site. It`s on the second call up when things usually freeze. My only recourse is to force quite. Does anyone out there know what may have happened to cause this, and what needs to be done to rectify it? Many thanks for any help you can send my way.

Duxford

2. Headrush

Headrush

Does this happen on every web site or just a specific one?
    Do you have Flash installed or any other browser extensions?

If you create another user account in System Preferences and log into that account, does the same problem occur there?

3. duxford

duxford Thread Starter

To Headrush:
    Thanks for replying. Yes I do have the Flash player plugin, in fact come to think of it, I downloaded it about the time I started experiencing the problem. I cant say it occurs on every web site, although ESPN seems to be the leader, especially when I click to open something else within ESPN. It pretty much occurs on many other sites. I imagine I should delete Flash and see what happens?

Duxford

4. Headrush

Headrush

Try it in a new user account first.

You can always install ClickToFlash which I use which helps with sites that use a lot of flash. Only load the flash parts you want.

5. duxford

duxford Thread Starter

Headrush,
    not familiar with "new user account". I`m a rank amateur with computers, especially Mac. What I did do was to delete the Flash software and that seemed to make a big difference. The problem was, any area that needed flash was now grayed out. I downloaded your "ClickToFlash" and it seemed to help somewhat. Just when I thought it was the answer to everything, my browser would lock up. In other words, it works sometimes. Has that been your experience? Thankfully the Force Quite still exists as a final resort. For the sake of discussion do you have any other ideas?

Many thanks for your inplut.
    Duxford

6. Headrush

Headrush

Does it lock up only when a flash video is playing?

New user account: Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Click + and add a new account

You can then log out via apple menu and log in as that new user

7. duxford

duxford Thread Starter

Headrush,
    Sorry to take so long in replying. Got some issues at this end that has me putting the computer on the back burner. Adding your "Click to Flash" has made a big difference. The software seems to have settled down and the browser lockup occurs less and less. Hopefully that will continue. To be honest with you, I have not tried the new user account move yet. I intend to give it a try at some point just to gain some experience.(of which I`ve had very little of). Thanks again for the help.

Duxford

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!