1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

browser freezes up cpu usage hits 100%

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by waxqueen2, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waxqueen2

waxqueen2 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a sony vaio desk top from like 2003. Its been running fine a little sluggish it is older.
    XP Home edition, version 2002 serv pk 3. Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2.39GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    This past Dec I just had more memory put into it since I had taken it in from my cd drive crapping out. They cleaned it out and updated some stuff. The machine ran pretty good a lot better then what it was. I got it back its been fine running much faster. Till about 3 week ago it started doing fucnky stuff with the brower. Its starting to do this more and more now its getting really annoying. You open your browser it can freeze or if your already online out of no where the browser just freezes up. you do ctl alt detete and you cannot even end the program from the application tab its useless. I noticed in the processes tab that my cpu usuage is out to 100%. Like I said it was working great then one night it did this. It wasn't even doing this before I had the memory put in it was fine. It then was sparatic now its doing it a lot. I have to keep on re booting the machine. Not sure what is happening. Should I bring it back to the guy that worked on it or did something hack thru my virus program? I tried reading some posts but without being able to understand all the registry things people pasted up here for similair issues I have no clue what to do.

Marianne

2. Chris-UK

Chris-UK

how much free hard disk space have you got?

run some up to date anti-virus/spam/malware software on your laptop, it just might be something attached to IE (assuming you use that) as you say this happens when you 'browse'. also check what adds on you have enabled and disable any you dont need from the tools menu of IE.

3. waxqueen2

waxqueen2 Thread Starter

I already ran anti viurs stuff and it didn't find anything. I have a desk top not a laptop not sure if that makes a difference. I have 15.1GB on my C drive of free space and 45.9GB on the D drive. What ever was on the browser before this started has never changed. No one added anything different that I can see it all looks the same to me. I even removed the google tool bar that I really didn't use when this started and thought it may have been from that. But it is still doing it. Everything is the same as it was before I sent it in to have the cd rom fixed and mem added. It all worked fine even better I didn't see anything different for the past 2 months that was added to the IE browser.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice