1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser problems / possible OS reinstall?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Odyssey, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey

Odyssey Thread Starter

I have a relatively new dual core 64 bit dual install Win XP/10.04 system.

At first I was able to run quite a number of browser (Chrome and Firefox) windows simultaneously in different desktops without much in the way of problems save the occasional reboot every few days to let the machine clear it's head.

Lately when I reboot, it runs fine for a few (1-6) hours, but then one or more of a few of the tabs start "spinning" in the tab showing that they are refreshing and a popup comes up saying that the program isn't responding, and asking whether I want to wait or force close.

If I choose wait, and go to those tabs, and hit the stop button, it changes to a refresh button but the tab still shows that it is attempting to connect/refresh/whatever it is doing, and the popup returns every few seconds. I.e., it is ignoring the "Stop".

I am now only running a few browser windows which is a much lighter load than the multiple windows before. I have reinstalled both Firefox and Chrome without any improvement.

There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the ones that start doing this, but once started any new tab will often fall into the same problem.

(FWIW, when I boot up, just after selecting the OS I want, a message flashes up (white print on black)saying:

Have no idea if this is relevant, but the "FATAL" caught my attention.)

What is causing this behavior? What can I do to solve it? What information would be helpful to you?

Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu?

2. Odyssey

Odyssey Thread Starter

I set up a new user account and have several windows of firefox, each with multiple tabs, running, quick as lightening and so far no problems like the ones I described above. Does this indicate that the problems have to do with my normal user account, not with the OS install?

If so, how do I clean up the problem? FI, I have a separate /home partition.

Any assistance appreciated.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Odyssey,

For starters, the FATAL message says you have no file named modules.dep in the directory path:
    /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic

Check it out and verify that it is not there with the command:
    $ ls -lt /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/modules.dep

In my system, I have modules.dep in that directory for Ubuntu 10.10 as:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 299756 2010-10-07 12:11 modules.dep

At the very least, you may need to reboot to see is you always get that message, and then:

After selecting Ubuntu 10.04 and getting the modprobe msg: FATAL, you may at least need to reinstall the 2.6.35-22-generic kernel and reboot. Use Synaptic Package Manager.

The packages you may need to reinstall (using synaptic package manager) are:
    linux-generic which should reinstall linux-headers-generic and linux-image-generic which cascades into the specific linux-headers and linux-image packages needed.

You do not need a total OS reinstallation from scratch IMHO.

Note: your Firefox profile is located in your login account at ~/.mozilla which would be in /home/~ where ~ is the alias for the name of your login account home directory.

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice