1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser problmes with xhtml files

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Aquarian, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aquarian

Aquarian Thread Starter

I redesigned and uploaded my site's pages at . I've heard from a couple of people that their browsers have to completely load any xhtml files before they will be displayed. The html pages load normally. Is there anything, short of changing them all to html files or insisting they all use firefox, I can do so all pages will load normally? I welcome any feedback on my new site, too :eek: :rolleyes: (n) (y) :D

I guess I can't correct the misspelling in the title. That's problems not problmes (proble mess???)

2. tpamet

tpamet

The link to your site isn't displayed.

Yes - I believe the XHTML spec specifies that pages will be downloaded completely first, then, if they are completely free of errors, will be displayed - however, I am not completely sure about this, so don't quote me on it.
    Edit: Looking at the XHTML1.0 spec, apparently, the pages should still be displayed (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#uaconf, point 8). I don't know, though.

Changing the file extensions from xht/xhtml/whatever you've got to html/htm should work fine. Depending on your server, this may be for the best; if the server sends a MIME type of application/xhtml+xml because of the xhtml/xht file extension, by default, IE7 will not display the pages - IE7 doesn't know how to handle application/xhtml+xml.

3. Aquarian

Aquarian Thread Starter

I don't know why the link didn't display. I'll try again.http://www.geocities.com/aquarianessence/

I can rename them all. Problem is I'll have to redo 10-20 links per page x20 so that's several hundred corrections I'd have to do. Boy is this work. :( Thanks for your reply. I'll read your link.

4. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Can you be more clear in describing your problem? :)

5. namenotfound

namenotfound

Seriously? I clearly understood the whole thing. ;)

The thread starter wants to know if pages served as application/xhtml+xml can load faster.

6. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Hmm... The title doesn't really match the subject.

Thanks though. :)

7. Aquarian

Aquarian Thread Starter

People are having problems loading the xhtml pages with certain browsers. One person says he has Win 3.1 and a PC 286 using netscape. He also attempted to modify a COPY of the front page in Netscape Communicator [downloaded via OE] but there were no links in it. I don't know why he would need to to this because that page is html. But it's good to know there are still people out there using prehistoric software. I was surprised to see something 10 years old still in use.

Another is using Windows XP with IE but must not be v6 because I've tried that one and it works fine. But she says it is the version up to date before V7 so I'm confused on that one. I decided to get some space at http://aquarianessence.atspace.com/ and uploaded the entry html page, the main home, xhtml page, and the about us html page. She got the htmls ok but with the xhtml it asks her to download a page.

I'm still trying to find out what browser the other person is using. I would assume if there are 3 with a problem there are many more. Not a very good way to get traffic :(

If it makes a difference here is the history of creating these pages. I used NVu to create. (I posted this question there but so far no answers. That's why I'm here.) The default prefrences were to create new pages as html. I used a template and css from a shared site for a couple of pages and that probably needed xhtml so they wouldn't validate. So I recreated all the pages that wouldn't validate as xhtml and changed all the link extensions then got perfect validation after a few minor corrections. By recreate, I mean I changed the prefrence to xhtml, create new page, copied and pasted the code from the head section down, changed the extension on all page links that were being changed. Now this problem.

Sorry if I've been confusing. The title does match what is being reported to me is the problem.

8. MMJ

MMJ Guest

I wouldn't recommend that you name your files .xhtml, keep them .html. I personally haven't seen anyone with a page that has a .xhtml extension. also it creates problems with IE7

It won't make a difference to how your page is displayed.

9. Freeware

Freeware

The difficultly comes with loading tables generally - the whole first table must load before anything shows, so one remedy is to structure your page with sequential top-level tables, with the hefty images in the last tables.

10. Aquarian

Aquarian Thread Starter

Is this true with both html and xhtml? I've already started to recreate all the pages as html. I've also decided, while I'm at it to create subdirectories after reading an article on the subject and dead en URIs. It's sad I have to downgrade to be reachable by everyone.

11. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Don't do anything but change the extensions from .xhtml to .html

12. Freeware

Freeware

yea, that will certainly help things. there shouldn't be a .xhtml extension :eek:

do still take my advice about the consecutive tables for increased loading times though.

13. tpamet

tpamet

Nooo, don't do that! Using tables for anything but...tabular data is evil! Use tables as they are meant to be used - for statistics. Separation of content (HTML) and design (CSS)!
    Using tables for layouts is very bad practice and Web -1.0!

Besides, not all user agents (cell phones, maybe?) can display web sites that are laid out using tables, making your site potentially *less* accessible. Also, I've never heard that using tables speeds up page load time... Do you have a link to benchmarks or something, Freeware?

14. namenotfound

namenotfound

I don't think he/she has a choice. Geocities uses tables, and although you can embed your own html (besides using the wysiwyg) it is still embedded into a table.

The only possible way you could make a site on Geocities that didn't have tables would be if you uploaded your own html files, and I'm not even sure you can do that. It's been a while since I used Geocities and last time I did (several years ago) you couldn't.

15. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Yeh, if the server serves .xhtml files as application/xhtml+xml (like it should), the markup will be treated as XHTML (XML with the XHTML namespace) in which you will lose incremental rendering.

IE doesn't support the XHTML namespace in XML, so it will often display a download dialog instead. Older browsers may do the same for the same reason or because they don't support XML at all.

If the pages are saved with the .html extension and the server serves them as text/html (like it should), then the markup (even if it's XHTML markup), will be treated as HTML and you'll have incremental rendering.

In the case of XHTML markup served as text/html, you have to be careful on what XHTML rules you follow because it's not being treated as XHTML. You can get away with doing <br /> instead of <br> and <meta /> instead of <meta> etc., but you don't want to do stuff like <div/> or <script src=""/> as those are only valid if the markup is treated as XHTML.

As already said and done, use regular HTML and serve it as text/html

If you want to decrease the load time of the page, go easy on js and transparent pngs. Also watch the size of pics and go easy on nested tables and the numer of tables.

Picky little things you can do:

Don't indent your markup, or if you do, use tabs instead of spaces (equals less data)

Keep the content of paragraphs on one line (equals less data)

Use mac or *nix newline format. (equals less data)

Put attributes for an element in alphabetical order. (could equal less time for DOM attribute list sorting)

Do emptyattribute instead of emptyattribute="emptyattribute" (even though it's considered evil, it's valid and equals less data)

Use highly-compressed pngs (if you want a pic to look good, but take little time to download)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice