1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser slow down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sprstock, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprstock

sprstock Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP SP3, IE8 on a custom built with an Asus P5B Deluxe MB, Intel Q6600 processor, 4GB RAM (3 GB useable), 1TB HD partitioned into 7 partitions (C, D, E, F, G, H, I), a 75 GB partition for the C: drive and one ( I: ) of 10 GB for the virtual drive (Cache) which is not in the partition immediatly adjacent to the C: drive. Now I only have 2-3 GB room left on the C: drive. All applications, installations, downloads possible are to drives other than :C where I try to keep clutter and fragmentation to a minimum. All Windows updates are applied, defragging done regularly and Avast Antivirus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, Malwarebytes, RU Botted and AVG linkscanner installed, updated and run regularly.

This problem has existed for over two years with both Time Warner Broadband and AT&T Uverse, the former hard wired and the latter WiFi. That change in internet suppliers occured when I moved about a mile. In that time I have replaced the motherboard, the processor, RAM, video card and hard drive which also included several complete reinstallations of the operating system.

This appears to occur only when I am online not when running software applications on the machine. It appears to be related to the amount of downloaded material (different web pages rather than just pure quantity such as a large video file). If I am just online not opening a lot of pages it does not occur so doesn't appear to be time related.

When I have opened a number of pages which usually takes around an hour after signing on the computer begins to slow down in downloading pages. It will get to the point where only about one out of ten pages will open at all. Often it will only download minimal content of the pages, no images or icons and only text in an unformatted form. I have attached a link ( https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2acd62e3aae31d0c&resid=2ACD62E3AAE31D0C!161 ) to a Word file with screen images. Opening as a Word Document provides much better clarity than the web image provided by Skydrive. The first images on the first two pages are typical of what I see after being online about an hour. The second images on those two pages are the exact same pages opened after simply rebooting the computer. This is not a handy solution as the problem may occur during the middle of checkout while puchasing something with only partial information entered and no indication of a completed purchase. The first image on the third page is something I sometimes see, part of the text superimposed on other print. The second image on that page is what I generally get for those nine out of ten pages that don't open that I mentioned earlier in this paragraph. Please note the connection data in the lower right hand corner. The image on the fourth page is one I opened immediatly after rebooting when I got the last image on the third page. Please note the connection data is identical between the two pages. The globe icon along with the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." often appears in the space an ad or video screen is supposed to be on a web page when the browser starts slowing down.

After changing all the different hardware, internet suppliers, method of delivery the internet connection, moving and reinstalling the operating system several times I an at a loss as to what is causing this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. shadow6224

shadow6224

Hello!
    What I've gathered is this: you have, over the course of two years, had this same internet problem. And you have replaced almost everything in the computer.
    What I am wondering is what has stayed in your computer that's the same. Is there a card you use to connect to the internet? Like, a USB device or a card in the mother board?

3. sprstock

sprstock Thread Starter

Hi-
    No, with Time Warner I used a hard wired network card plugged into the router with a USB cord until last March when I went with Uverse using a WiFi network card. I used to use the on motherboard WiFi network system but it was the old "g" format so I replace it with a new PCI card that is an "n". The only things I can think of that have remained the same is the model of motherboard which I had to replace when the old one was wiped out with a transformer failure. I have reused the cables inside the case and the optical drives and floppy drive and I do still use the same sound card, a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice