1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

browser [email protected] 256 color

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DanBoone, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanBoone

DanBoone Thread Starter

Hi, My browser somehow got stuck showing only 256 colors, web pages, buttons, everything. The rest of my system is just as its always been @ 32bit 1024x768.
    pictures that I already have on my machine look fantastic while all pictures that I view or save all look bad and I cant figure it out.
    I have purposely gone and looked at high res pictures and cant view them because explorer will not resolve them. I have a kick *** machine and graphics card with winxp. can someone please help me get my explorer back to 32 bit color, please please...
    DanB

2. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

If you are running IE 5.5 or 6 go to add remove programs in the control panel and highlite Microsoft Internet Explorer, then select add/remove, a box will pop up, select "repair" and follow the prompts...let us know if it works...Rhett PS,welcome to TSG :)

3. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

My error, thought it said ME, not XP, I don't think that XP has the repair feature...lets see if I can get a Moderator to move this to the correct forum...Rhett

4. DanBoone

DanBoone Thread Starter

soon as I saw your post I went to follow your instructions and also found what you said, I remember that feature also and thought you were on to something :)
    sorry bout being in the wrong forum and thank you for your help, this 1 is driving me crazy, I can usually get through these things. :-(

5. DanBoone

DanBoone Thread Starter

ya know, I've been to quite a few tech boards and the "knowledge base" and I cant find anything like this anywhere, why just my web pictures? they even save at the low colors even though i can view another picture right next to that 1 and it looks fine in 32bit?? wierd.

6. Miz

Miz

Working from a vague and distant memory here but I think I've seen that problem resolved by clearing IE's cache and all temporary internet files. It's worth a shot, anyway. ;)

7. sdtex

sdtex

I've been searching the Forum for this similar problem and thanks to DanBoone, I've found someone who shares my misery and confusion. Clearing out Temp pages and cache have no effect on this. All pictures downloaded from my camera appear sharp and crisp, yet when viewing picitures (on e-Bay, for example) or any graphics, the colors look "mottled". That's the best word to describe them, I guess. At first I thought it may be my graphics card drivers (nVidea GP2 - 64 Mb ------or something close to that), yet everything else (i.e. pictures downloaded from my camera) look fine.

Any other help would be appreciated.................

WinMe
    256 mb
    56k dial-up
    IE6.0

Steve

8. sdtex

sdtex

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this problem.......can anybody help?? Anything at all other than clearing cache and deleting all temp files? I did a IE 6 repair and it said that it could not be fixed and must be re-installed, which I did. Still no help. I'm going to try to post a picture of what I see.........hope it works, but if it doesn't I would be glad to e-mail some to anyone who's interested.

Attached Files:

9. sdtex

sdtex

Most of the replies I read have asked for this information, so I thought I'd provide it before anyone asked. FYI, I have 2 hard drives with the "C" drive set up as primary master and the "D" drive as primary slave. Please review for any help you can provide, regardless if it pertains to this thread or not.......Thanks, again!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.3
    Scan saved at 9:46:53 PM, on 10/27/2003
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TELEPATH.101\telepath.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\GTS2\VI_GRM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\MSTASJ.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACCESSRAMP\ARMON32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK ACCELERATOR\PROPELAC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I2D1.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ONTRACK\SYSTEMSUITE\MXTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ONTRACK\SYSTEMSUITE\SSUITE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SETUP_WM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ULTIMATEZIP\UZIP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/category10915/index.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = MindSpring Internet Explorer
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
    F1 - win.ini: load=C:\GTS2\vi_grm.exe
    F1 - win.ini: run=MSTASJ.EXE
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D28-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMMON\YCOMP5_0_2_6.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0096CC0A-623C-4829-AD9C-19AF0DC9D8FE} - D:\PROGRAM FILES\DAP\DAPIEBAR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} - C:\WINDOWS\BI.DLL
    O2 - BHO: My Search BHO - {014DA6C1-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYSEARCH\BAR\1.BIN\S4BAR.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMMON\YCOMP5_0_2_6.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: My &Search Bar - {014DA6C9-189F-421a-88CD-07CFE51CFF10} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYSEARCH\BAR\1.BIN\S4BAR.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AccessRampMonitor] C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACCESSRAMP\ARMon32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Propel Accelerator] C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK ACCELERATOR\PROPELAC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C84 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I2D1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C84 Series" /O7 "EPUSB1:" /M "Stylus C84"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TelePath] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TELEPATH.101\telepath.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
    O4 - Startup: SystemSuite.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ontrack\SystemSuite\MXTask.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pa&ge with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\EarthLink Accelerator\pac-page.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Allow pop-ups from this site - C:\Program Files\EarthLink Accelerator\pac-addwl.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pi&cture with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\EarthLink Accelerator\pac-image.html
    O9 - Extra button: RealGuide (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: MindSpring (HKCU)
    O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'wps.dll' missing
    O16 - DPF: {30000273-8230-4DD4-BE4F-6889D1E74167} - http://download2.abetterinternet.com/download/cabs/FON19106/flash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E855A2D4-987E-4F3B-A51C-64D10A7E2479} (EPSImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/activex/EPSControl_v1-32.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2B96D5CC-C5B5-49A5-A69D-CC0A30F9028C} (MiniBugTransporterX Class) - http://download.weatherbug.com/minibug/tricklers/AWS/MiniBugTransporter.cab?

10. sdtex

sdtex

Seems that this thread has been "stuck".......is this issue so unique that the people that are usually soooo helpful (and I really mean that!!), are actually stumped?? I find that hard to believe. C'mon people.....give it a shot!! :D

11. Miz

Miz

Could that "Earthlink Accelerator\pac-image.html" be the problem? Most "accelerators" used by ISPs merely compress images so they'll load faster...and the compression reduces the quality. The term "pac-image" implies that's exactly what it's doing.

See if there's any way to disable that accelerator thing and, if so, see if the picture quality improves when it's disabled.

12. sdtex

sdtex

Thanks, Miz........ I will try to disable that first thing tonight when I get home. I'll post the results. Thank you for the suggestion.....

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice