1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by comtrain9, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. comtrain9

comtrain9 Thread Starter

Board,

I have a few issues. But before I deal with any of them, I need your advice. I currently have Internet Explorer 6 on a Power Spec 9201. Power Spec doesn't make the 9201 version anymore, by the way.

My system is a dual core Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. System specifics: AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz with 2.00 GB of RAM. About 90% of the system is freed-up. I have a number of security software installed. AVG, Spyware Blaster, Norton, SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes' AntiMalware. They seem to work ok on the same pc. No rivalry, yet. These versions tend to be 2010 or 2011. I have a few other programs, like Nero, Microsoft Office 2007 (thinking of switching to 2011). I have a Canon Pixma MP150 printer hooked up.

I get all these messages on line from various other sites on the web, saying their programs don't work as effectively with IE 6 and advising me to upgrade to a higher Internet Explorer. Is that advisable, and secondly, should it be to an Internet Explorer 8? I hear that people have problems with their pcs with IE 7. So, should I bother to upgrade altogether? Will my security systems still work OK? Which upgrade, if any?

Steve

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Yes, it should be to an Internet Explorer 8.

IE6 isn't supported by Microsoft anymore nor by many websites, including Google. It's considered quite unsafe.

3. osarius

osarius

Of course, you could update to IE 8. It's safer than IE6 by a long shot.

Or you could try another browser - some are even safer and faster than the current IE8.

Google Chrome

Opera

Mozilla Firefox

Flock

Go for whichever you feel more comfortable with.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Update to IE7 or IE8 even if you decide to use one of the better browsers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice