1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browser wont connect

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doepie01, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doepie01

doepie01 Thread Starter

Hi there

I am new to this forum so therefore thanks in advance for the help. I am no technical expert so please excuse me if i dont use the correct technical terms.
    My problem is that when i start my laptop none of my browsers(firefox and IE8) wont connect. When i click the launch icon nothing happened. Only the hourglass for a few seconds but nothing opens.I also discoverd that while my pc is in this state i cannot open "internet options" in the control panel nor can i use msconfic. If i click on either of the above the program freeze and i have to close it with the task manager. The icon with the 2 little screens(local area connection 2) also is gone. The only way i can get my browsers to open is when i open a program like Google Earth, wait for about 10 minutes, and then suddenly my browser open and everything is back to normal.

I use a USB modem to connect to the internet. The only program that function during this non responsive 10 minutes is Outlook. I can receive and download emails.

What have i done so far? I have unistalled IE8 and tried to use IE7. I try to use firefox. I did reset IE7. I scanned my pc with Superantispyware and removed what was found. I use Avast as my anti virus program. I did a clean boot. NOTHING SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

I think this problem started after i installed a game. My OS is windows XP pro SP2.

Sorry for the long post but i cant describe my problem in a shorter way.

I hope somebody can help me. Almost forgot. I also tried to ran a system restore but couldnt because it was turned off.

Many thanks for any help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows XP Professional SP2 is over 4 years out of date.

You need to upgrade it to SP3.

Go here to download and save the full 316 MB-size SP3 upgrade in a computer that has a working connection.

Copy the upgrade to a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD-R.

Use that external media to install the upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

You might want to start the computer in safe mode with networking to diagnose if the issue is really those programs. Sometimes programs will function in safe mode because lots of regular stuff get's disabled for troubleshooting purposes. Try this, see if the browsers work, if they do, remove the software you recently added to your computer and don't try to re-install that software as that would be the conflict. Once that is done, then upgrade to the current Service Pack 3.

I hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice