1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsers and virus programs don't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Technoid1, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Technoid1

Technoid1 Thread Starter

I'm not sure what happened, what started it, or if it's virus related. I was trying to download a video stream, and in the course of that, downloaded and installed WinSCP, PuTTY, and Java, and some Java program that I'm still trying to find again.

That's pretty much all I've done with the computer in a while, but it was working fine then, I think. But I turned it on again and now Firefox errors when I try to open it, Chrome crashes immediately, and Internet Explorer 8 keeps trying to reload the tab because something's wrong with it. The Avast icon on the taskbar is there when I start the computer, but then when I right-click on it and try to update or anything the icon just goes away when I put my mouse over it again.

I tried safe mode, and Firefox works and Avast's interface opens, but says it errored because the service isn't running, no matter how many times I hit the button to start the service.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Another consideration is to use the 'Restore' function and revert to a time before you downloaded that video stream and those installed apps.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Avast support for XP ended Jan 1 2019
    https://blog.avast.com/avast-discontinues-support-for-windows-xp-vista

The last version of FF that works in XP is 52.9 and that was the ESR version with support ending in Aug. 2018.

The only version of IE that will sort of work is IE 11. (I rarely use it.) Even MS is saying don't use IE in Windows 10.

If you must go on the internet on that computer, use a linux live CD/DVD or USB stick with a patched supported browser.

5. Technoid1

Technoid1 Thread Starter

I tried restoring to before I installed those programs, and now instead of Firefox turning up an error message it just makes the "Windows Error" beep it makes when it shows a window with a big red circle and a white X, but with no window coming up. Avast works though.

I don't have writable CDs so I burned the Kaspersky thing to a flash drive and ran it that way, hope that doesn't matter. It found nothing and could get on the internet fine.

I booted back into Windows and tried to install the Slimjet browser from a flash drive, and it couldn't download any files for installation. It's like no programs can access the internet, when I try to update Avast it says it returned an HTTPS server error. I can ping websites from CMD fine, though.

I'm aware of XP being less secure, all I use that computer for anymore is going to regular sites I always go on, such as Youtube, if I need to. I'd just like to get this fixed in case it's a virus, and so I can get on the internet if needed.

Thank you guys for your time!

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check your firewall for any block rules, if you say nothing can access the internet.

7. Technoid1

Technoid1 Thread Starter

I'm just using the default Windows firewall. I don't think it has any block rules, just exceptions.
    That's strange, Avast updates now and Slimjet downloaded the installer fine. Firefox still doesn't open. I'd try reinstalling it but I can't find an EXE of Firefox 59 ESR anywhere. Is it the same as 60? Will that still run on XP?

Slimjet gives me an error message, but it may be unrelated to this. I'll see if I can fix it and post back here.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Don't waste your time searching for it because ESR is now at v 60.5.2 and doesn't work on XP.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    A copy of Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR is difficult to find now.
    That's why I keep a copy of it saved in my "Windows XP Drivers & Programs & Tools" folder.
    If I need to do a new install of Windows XP, that copy is readily available to install and use. (y)

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for posting that download link.
    I added it to my "Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR" folder. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome Frank. :)

For anyone else wanting to get this last version of Firefox that's compatible with XP I would get it as soon as you can, I have no idea how long that download link will work for.

13. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Just keep in mind that; http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/
    can get to all versions of Firefox and Thunderbird ( aka; T-Bird ).

**The web site replaces what used to be a public FTP site.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice