Browsers can't find JRE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Seven^3

I recently downloaded the JDK (Java Development Kit). It came with it's own JRE (Java Runtime Enviroment), so I, in my wisdom, decided to save space by deleting the duplicate kits.

Now my Browsers (IE 5.0x, Opera 5.02, NS6.1) can't find it - esp. NS which used to load it automatically.

I've poked around with the control panel applet, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm currently downloading the <a href="http://bert.fragland.net/md3view/index.html">Q3:A model viewer</a> - a java program that had the original JRE, and I see how that goes.

Here goes...

Seven^3

<b>Update:</b>
I re-installed (overwrote) the JRE via NS6's plugin system so it sorta' works for NS now (see <a href=#ne1>NetScape errors</a> below) but still not IE or Opera.

I found (eventually) IE's java console:
<font color=blue size=+1>
<pre>java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.swing.JApplet
at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass
at java/lang/ClassLoader.loadClassInternal
at java/lang/ClassLoader.resolveClass
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedClassLoad
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run
at java/lang/Thread.run
</pre>
</font>

<p><a name=ne1></a>
Hey, what the...!
I just went back to NS to get its error reports, and it's asking for the plugin again.
This is messed up.
:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online