1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsers crash, all of them.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by freddyzdead, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Thread Starter

There was an old post about this, nobody replied to it, but I have the same thing after running Hensence Mediabox. It ran beautifully the first time, then at the next boot, no browsers would run, in fact, anything that tried to access the internet would crash.

The trouble is caused by this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries]

Mediabox modifies some entries here, which is how it does its sniffing. But it screws up the whole TCP/IP stack.
    Maybe it worked ok on XP, but not on 7 or 8, it seems. What I would suggest is to export this whole registry key before you install Mediabox. Then, when disaster strikes later on, you can import it and all should be well. If it's too late for that, you can export the key from an uncontaminated machine and import it into your broken one. Regedit does this easily.

On Windows 8.1, I had simultaneously had failure of the USB mouse, it being not recognized no matter which port I plugged it into. I don't know if that is related to Mediabox or just a coincidence.

This is a real shame, because Mediabox is the only media sniffer I have found that really works. But only once. I hope the developer knows this and is working on a fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!