1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsers not happy with Ethernet connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Skietax, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skietax

Skietax Thread Starter

Tried to help out my Dad with this one, but, as per usual, I'm stumped.

Dad's laptop (Toshiba running Vista) is perfectly happy connected to my parents' wireless home network (or any other one he connects to. Dad travels a lot.).

However, some hotels Dad stays at only have ethernet connections. Connecting this way, none of the browsers can connect to the internet.

I investigated via Teamviewer. I had them connect the laptop to their router via ethernet cable, then disabled the wireless. I got kicked out of Teamviewer, but was able to immediately log back in. So, obviously, the ethernet connection was working. Thinking myself quite clever (and ready to call Shenanigans on my father), I fired up a browser. It couldn't connect to the internet. Both Safari and IE were tried. Both failed.

Stumped, I had them switch the wireless back on and unplug the ethernet, checked the browsers again, and all was well.

So, my question: How come the browsers don't like the wired connection? Obviously, since I was able to connect via TeamViewer, there was indeed an internet connection, but the browsers couldn't see it.

My wife's laptop (a Dell also running Vista) doesn't care which way it's connected. The browsers run just fine regardless of how it's connected. I just had to reinstall Vista on it, and initially had it wired with no problems, then switched over to wireless with no problems.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Internet Options>Connections Tab

Is there anything in the Dial-Up VPN settings box?

I have also seen this behavior when there is wireless management software installed by the PC manufacturer, even though you disable it, it is not really, either I remove that software, or find the setting in it that "let windows manage the wireless", it does a better job.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Take a look at ipconfig /all. One possibility for the symptoms you described is that there is a valid (for that router) IP address and mask, but no valid Default Gateway or DNS server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice