Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browsers Not Working

Solved 
706 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bellsofireland4 
#1 ·
I'm using an HP laptop with Windows 8.1. A few days ago (I haven't had time to really delve into it until now) my browsers suddenly stopped loading any and all web pages. Mostly I use an older version of Firefox (because I can't live without my roomy bookmarks toolbar and the newest Firefox doesn't support it). Firefox just gets stuck on the TLS handshake phase forever. I tried Internet Explorer and SRWare Iron as well, and had the same problem. All websites refuse to load. Then I remembered I have a 4th browser: Avast Secure Browser. So I tried that one, and was able to access my email and a few other sites, but not all of them. And once I remembered that, I remembered that I recently updated the Avast Secure Browser, because Avast wouldn't stop bugging me about it. It's possible that I did this right before my browser trouble began, but I'm not positive. (Perhaps Avast put some security measure in place that hinders all my other browsers?) Restarting my computer and resetting my internet connection did not help. And the browsers are the only things that don't work. My Dropbox is online and functioning, and my Trillian instant messenger works just fine. My phone, my kindle, and my roommate's laptop all are working just fine with their browsers and the internet. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

#3 ·
Have you tried resetting your browsers to default. If that doesn't help then boot into safe mode with networking and see if the pages load correctly.

#4 ·
I actually solved this issue by disabling Avast in the Startup tab of my Task Manager and restarting my computer. Once Avast wasn't running, my browsers worked fine. So I uninstalled Avast (and its secure browser) and reinstalled it *without* the secure browser, and now all of my other browsers work just fine. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.