1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsers not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Cat_Tastraffee, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cat_Tastraffee

Cat_Tastraffee Thread Starter

Hello all;

Two days ago I upgraded to Firefox 2.0.0.1 and from that moment, the only browser that works on my computer is IE (6.0, never updated and very rarely used since I got this computer).

I only had FF and IE to begin with and thought that there was just something wrong with FF when I downloaded the new version, but after two days of reading more forums and support pages than I can even remember anymore, following all of firefox support's suggestions (I did everything in their standard diagnostic, including a clean reinstall), in desperation I downloaded Netscape and then Opera, both of which immediately followed FF's lead.

What happens when I try to open any browser other than IE is this: It looks for a moment as if it's going to do something, complete with hourglass and computer-is-working noises. And then nothing happens. When I open task manager, the process for the browser (be it firefox.exe, etc.) is running and cannot be killed. Also, I cannot open any of them in their safe mode. If I open Windows in safe mode they'll work, but there's so much in the normal mode that could be the problem that I don't know where to start looking.

What I've tried: creating a new profile, removing the plugins, resetting the extensions to default, uninstalling and reinstalling firefox (1.5 and 2.0 versions; this involved the previously mentioned clean reinstall complete with removal of reg keys), resetting toolbars and controls, turning the firewall on and off. I've run checks for viruses, etc., (even followed FF support's suggestion of renaming firefox.exe to firefox1.exe in case something was specifically targeting the program) and found nothing; and run chkdsk to no avail. I have also tried system restore.

Since this happens with all the newly downloaded programs, I have to assume that the problem lies not with the individual browsers and I have absolutely no idea what it might be.

I don't know what computer information is relevant other than that I'm running Windows XP Home edition. (Sorry, I'm all exhausted from fighting with this since Monday night.)

Can anyone help me?

2. Augie65

Augie65

Definitely sounds as something is effecting your computer other than Firefox. If you can, download and run HJT then post the log on the forum for an expert to check and make sure that your computer is clean.

3. Cat_Tastraffee

All right, now that all that's been done, the HJT log file is attached.

Attached Files:

4. Cat_Tastraffee

5. Truejake2

Truejake2

I'm Having the same problem. I Had Installed Firefox On My Computer But I Hid It So My Father Wouldnt Know Because He Hates It When I Mess With The Computer. Newayz, He Went On A FewDays Later And Installed It Himself Unbenounced To Me. I Think He Tried To Install The New Version Or Something Because Ever Since Then None Of My Browsers Besides AOL And IE 6.0 Work. If U Can Help The Lady Above Then Let Me Kno Too PLEASE!!!

6. fliime

fliime

same thing is happening with me

7. Truejake2

Truejake2

8. Truejake2

Truejake2

bump again....i need help pretty bad

9. Truejake2

Truejake2

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice