1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsers not working

Discussion in 'General Security' started by TommyG, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TommyG

TommyG Thread Starter

Wed. I came home and Windows had restarted itself for an update. Everything worked fine before that. After the restart everything was VERY slow, including the mouse pointer - jumped around the screen instead of moving smoothly.

I noticed Zonealarm kept giving me a message saying it was initializing, and to press cancel to shut down ZA. Whether I pressed cancel or not, the message kept appearing and going away. I noticed in task manager that vsmon.exe was at 400,000 in the process tab.

Anyways, I unistalled ZA with the help of a zip file I found in one of these forums and the computer is not slow anymore, but now none of my browsers work: google chrome, IE7, firefox, and safari.

When I first had the problem with the slow computer I did full scans with AVG, Ad Aware, and Malwarebytes- No Infections found. I was able to update these programs before but now even they can't get online for updates.

WTF? Anyone?

I have Windows Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, AMD 64 Mobile tech ML-40, 2.19 GHz, 2GB RAM

Please help!

2. Bichey

Bichey

can u open the browser ?? or is it not opening ??

3. E-7

E-7

4. TommyG

TommyG Thread Starter

They all open, but pages don't display - as if I didn't have a connection - but my connection is fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TommyG

TommyG Thread Starter

Thanks, but this isn't quite me. I think I saw this earlier while searching forums for help.

The thing is:
    -I don't have Vista
    -ZoneAlarm is gone - I uninstalled it
    -Browsers don't work even for a little bit -this person says it works for a short period of time and then stop responding. Mine will open but don't display any web pages.
    -Restarting doesn't fix anything

6. Bichey

Bichey

see here

point 4 is important

7. TommyG

TommyG Thread Starter

Didn't work :(

on a side note: what is the difference between CMD and COMMAND? They are different... When I do command in the RUN box Ad Watch recommends blocking ntvdm.exe

8. TommyG

TommyG Thread Starter

See attachment...

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!