1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

browsers open extremely slowly

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TXAlien, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TXAlien

TXAlien Thread Starter

When I click on a browser icon (IE, Firefox, or Chrome), either nothing happens at all, or else it "lights up" for a couple of seconds. It doesn't stay defined. It usually takes 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes longer, for the browser to open. Of course, if I click more than once, once it does open, I get a window for each time I clicked.

I emphasize that this happens with all browsers. On the internet, I found a lot of stuff about how to address the issue with particular browsers, but the fact that it happens across the board makes me think it's a system issue.

A couple of weeks ago I had my HD "cleaned" (OS reinstalled) and it didn't improve this in the slightest. The guys at the shop I took it to insist I don't have any hardware issues.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4043 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1797 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (249 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    How does it perform in safe mode? Have you tried resetting your browsers to defaults?

3. TXAlien

TXAlien Thread Starter

They open right away in safe mode.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay, have you tried resetting them to defaults?

Right click on diag.txt
    Select Save link as from the menu
    Save to your desktop
    Rename the file to diag.bat
    Double click on the file to Run
    Once it is finished it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
    Compress the folder to a .zip file
    Upload to your reply

How to Compress/Uncompress .Zip files

5. TXAlien

TXAlien Thread Starter

I tried resetting the browser settings to defaults. They still open extremely slowly if I'm not in Safe Mode.

I tried downloading the diag.txt file onto my computer. What gets saved is an HTML file. If I right-click to rename, the file name gets changed to diag.bat.htm. The Rename function doesn't give me an option to change the file extension. So I tried changing the file extension when I downloaded using the Save File As function. I changed it to diag.bat and chose All Files in the file extension dropdown box. What gets saved is a plain text file, not an executable.

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I am not sure why it isn’t working. Enclosed is the file to download directly and then rename.

Attached Files:

• Diag.txt
      File size:
      790 bytes
      Views:
  7. TXAlien

TXAlien Thread Starter

Here you go.

Attached Files:

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I will go over your files while you wait please try the following and see if there is also improvement and let me know.

Follow the steps in the link below:
    Windows Clean Boot

9. TXAlien

TXAlien Thread Starter

Problem is unchanged after a clean boot.

10. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  11. TXAlien

TXAlien Thread Starter

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks for your help! And BTW, do you have any recommendations for an antivirus program that won't cause these kinds of problems? (Preferably free, but I'll pay if that's necessary to get a product that won't gunk up my system.)

12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I agree with MSE, a good ad blocker and malwarebytes free or super anti spyware for weekly scans.

The integrated Windows antivirus programs are far lighter on resources and do not contain any of the extra junkware, ads, or paid upgrades like other antivirus programs. Most importantly, since it is made by Microsoft as part of the system it doesn't need work-arounds or hooks into your system, so its actually safer and provides better performance than other antivirus programs.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice