Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browsers still not working

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I'm not able to get the suggested system info download so I'll list what I think you need.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Gateway model MC7321U
Intel pentium dual CPU T3200 2.00GHz
3 GB
32 bit operating system
Initially, weeks ago, I couldn't connect to wifi but I got that resolved. Then none of my browsers would work so I tried all the suggested fixes I could find. One of those was uninstalling my upgraded anti virus from avast but I wasn't sure that was a good move to leave my computer vulnerable to viruses so I just set it to minimal protection. Then I tried Firefox, chrome and for the hell of it, internet explorer (hey, I was desperate!) Firefox partially opens and then freezes saying it's no longer responding. Upon opening i.e. it promptly closes and a window pops up that says internet explorer cannot download rdr.aspx from homepage.gateway.com. Directly below that it says ie was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later. Behind that window a download box opens and shows files flying into a folder but it's at 0% and stays that way. Chrome will actually open and then when I start typing in the url it freezes and says it's not responding. I need to also mention that I'm not always able to get into the control panel anymore, it too freezes and eventually says it's not responding.
This gateway laptop was rarely used and does not have much in the way of applications installed. It's running vista, has 94.6 gb free of 144 on drive C and 143 fb free of 144 on drive D. It was running fine before all hell broke loose. Would really appreciate any suggestions to solve these issues.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Why is your computer still running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 32-bit?
The Service Pack 2 upgrade for it was released in May 2009 - over 7 years ago.
Without the Service Pack 2 upgrade installed, certain programs and device drivers won't install or update.
And with Windows Vista in such an outdated condition, it's wide open to security exploits.

Gateway model MC7321U
Gateway MC7321u Notebook
It originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 32-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
I only started using this laptop because my regular one just refused to turn on one day. I was given this laptop by my workplace because the one program it had on it that they used it for had been integrated into their main system. The laptop was used only for the dental program maybe once a week for an hour or two. I had intended to sell it but when mine broke I decided to use it and it worked fine since I started using it in May of this year. It just started acting up in the past few weeks. I had nothing to do with any updates.
Is what you're saying then, is that this laptop is history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.