1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsers with privacy protection?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BeforeTheRain, Feb 27, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. BeforeTheRain

BeforeTheRain Thread Starter

I've been trying to improve my browsing habits and with limited knowledge I have I seek help. I read an article today about privacy protection oriented browsers. Currently I'm using Opera, I have adBlock on it and after reading the article added HTTPS Everywhere extension. But then I thought maybe there are better alternatives to Opera? Brave got my attention since it's open source and they allow you to donate crypto to some content producers to compensate for ad blocking. Anybody used it or have any different recommendations? Thanks in advance!

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Chrome seems popular.

I use Firefox with the extensions
    NoScript
    AdBlock +
    Ghostery
    and the recent browser extension by Malwarebytes.
    However, there seemed to be a conflict between the Malwarebytes extension and the HTTPS Everywhere extension. I chose to keep the MBAM extension and delete the HTTPS E extension.

BeforeTheRain likes this.
  3. TOGG

TOGG

I have never heard of Brave but I see that the article you provided the link to mentions the Epic Privacy Browser. I have used that for some time now and never had any problems.

I also use Opera and Duck Duck Go (never Google!) and believe that I am doing as much as a home user can to retain a measure of privacy. I have experimented with the TOR browser and didn't find the slowdown too serious but my level of paranoia isn't high enough to make me want to use it all the time!

I also use a cleaning tool (Privazer) that removes much of the junk left behind after surfing but, as with all similar programs, caution is advised as it will remove material, (including from the Registry) unless its settings are properly adjusted. It definitely is NOT a 'click and forget it' type of program.

4. BeforeTheRain

Thanks a lot. On my Opera browser I have Surfshark extension, but as I understand masking my IP is not enough to block tracking? It will show that I connect from different location but I think by issuing cookies my activity online can be traced? I installed CCleaner that has option to delete cashe/cookies, is that similar to your mentioned Privazer?

Thanks Johnny I will try Malwarebytes and thanks Togg I will try Epic browsers as well.

5. 2twenty2

2twenty2

In Opera lots of settings under Privacy and Security

Here is one of them - Opera - Menu > Settings > Advanced > Privacy and Security > VPN

6. TOGG

TOGG

If I have understood it correctly, the EPIC browser claims to block a lot of trackers and, by not storing browsing history, disposes of cookies etc. when it is closed.

I have used CCleaner in the past and I believe that it works in a similar way to Privazer (although if Privazer is used with the 'Advanced' setting it probably removes more, which is why it is necessary to check the areas to be scanned and the list of things it discovers before committing to deletion). The general opinion here is that CCleaner is pretty safe to use PROVIDED the Registry cleaning option is not used.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I also run my browsers in Sandboxie which should help to minimise what gets written to my hard drive until such time as I choose to 'recover' anything I want to keep. I chose to pay a small one time fee for the registered version of Sandboxie but, as far as I am aware, the free version is adequate.

I do sometimes use Opera's VPN option, although I have seen it suggested in another thread here that it is not a fully featured VPN but a form of proxy. Unfortunately, I do not have the technical knowledge to argue the point one way or the other.

BeforeTheRain likes this.
  7. BeforeTheRain

I didn't know Opera had a VPN option, now I see it's there and will try it. Unfortunately I bought a VPN already but I think it's an opportunity to do a comparison of both services.

TOGG, are you talking about that CCleaner option below below "Cleaner", the one named "Registry"? What's wrong with using that?

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Blindly altering the Registry can and often winds up as a corrupted registry and a bricked computer.

9. TOGG

TOGG

As Johnny b says, unnecessary amendments to the Registry could, in a worst case scenario, lead to serious problems.

The whole concept of 'cleaning' the Registry of old, out of date, entries probably dates back to the time when hard drives were really small and processors slow. Registries could grow quite large so that removing clutter was thought to be a good idea to save space and, theoretically, speed up boot times etc. If that was ever true, the current specs of most computers mean that there is unlikely to be any benefit now.

There can be times when careful editing of single registry keys or sub keys is needed, but never wholesale clearance based on the findings of software, however good you may think it is.

Johnny b likes this.
  10. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Use the Privacy mode of a browser.
    It will delete your private data from storage together with passwords, cached page information, cookies, and browser history once you close the browser window.
    1. Edge:
    Right-click on the program icon and select New InPrivate window from the context menu.
    You can also open an InPrivate window by pressing Control-Shift-P together.
    2. IE:
    Right-click on the program icon and select Start InPrivate browsing from the context menu.
    If you already have an IE browser wind open, Press Control-Shift-P together to open an InPrivate browser window.
    3. Chrome:
    If you have Chrome pinned to your taskbar, right-click on the icon and select New incognito window from the context menu.
    If you already have a regular Chrome window open, press Control-Shift-N together to open a new incognito window.
    4. FF:
    If you have Firefox pinned to your taskbar, right-click on the icon and select New private window from the context menu.
    If you have a regular Firefox session open already, you can open a private window by pressing Control-Shift-P together.

12. BeforeTheRain

Thank you all very much for your elaborate responses. I tried Brave but didn't quite like it and I stuck with Opera. I'm using private browsing it's ctrl+shift+N, I tried their VPN option but chose Surfshark extension since I'm using this VPN on my phone too now. Added Privacy Badger extension, my colleague recommended it for tracker protection. I think I'll do more reading about privacy protection online before adding anything more, don't want to be careless. And thanks for explaining how registry cleaning works, won't touch that!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice