browseui.dll error upon exiting IE6.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jromp

I have attempted to solve this with Microsoft - but they seem to know little if nothing about their own programs. I have downloaded IE 6.0 about 5 times - it installs fine - however, upon operating it, and exiting the main window (to log out) or when I close out a child window, I get a page fault in 'browseui.dll' - verytime. We have attempted to use the IE repair function - no luck. We have even run IE 6.0 in safe mode with absolutely the bare minimum of drivers etc running and it still does the browseui.dll trick. I am able to uninstall IE6 to previous configuration (IE 5.5sp2) which works like a charm. I am using Win98se (all current updates in place). I run Norton Antivirus 2000 (updated to 2001) and Windowblinds 2.2 enchanced. None of these programs seem to be the cause of the problem, as when they are not running, same problem. Anyone have an idea of how to fix this problem or what might be causing it so I can correct it? I have another system at my office that is pretty much the same (as far as software goes) to this one - and IE 6.0 works fine. (The system with the problems is a Gateway G6-300 - PII 300Mhz. with 256mb ram, 20gig HD, CD-RW, Zip etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. Would appreciate any insight you all could provide. Thanx.

jromp

Eddie
The erros is caused by Internet Explorer:
IExplore caused an invalid page fault in module BROWSEUI.DLL at 0187.71943a8. (etc).
The error is definitly cause by IE 6 - I get not such error with IE 5.5. When we looked for cause we closed down all running programs (even Windows drivers) and received the error everytime we ran and then exited out of IE. Hope this helps.
Thanks, John

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online