1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BrowseUI.DLL

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Drew88, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

Hello, I have been looking through the archives and found some similar solutions to my problem, but they don't work.

I installed Mozilla, and then, when to Add/Remove programs to uninstall IE 6. I chose 'restore to an earlier IE' or something along those lines. So, I reboot, and I get "Explorer has caused and error with BROWSEUI.DLL". So I try Windows ME boot disks, DOS commands, etc. I used to be able to start the comupter with Restore Disk CD that came with it, but it won't read the CD drive.
    If any of you can help, I would really appreciate it.

-Drew

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try useing scanreg /restore in dos mode to restore the registry to a date before the problems started.

3. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

I did, but still get the same error.:(

4. ian.t

ian.t

If you are able to get online at all - even on a friends computer or wherever you may want to read this :

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289799

Basically, the article states thst you need to Restart your computer using the Windows Me emergency startup disk.

If this is successful navigate to the instruction that says "Start Computer Without CD-ROM Support"

At the command prompt :> you need to type "scanreg /fix" (without the quotation marks) and hit the ENTER key.

restart the system when scanreg has stopped and hopefully you will back to a working computer agin. If not, post back :)

5. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

Hi, it didn't work either. Still get the same error.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I would suggest, download IE6 setup to a folder on your desktop. Backup your favorites. Then delete the internet explorer folder out of program files and reinstall it from the setup file.

7. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

The thing is is that all i get is a blank desktop and when i hit control+alt+del, no programs are running. :(

8. ian.t

ian.t

I'm thinking you may have done something else in your endeavours to correct the BROWSEUI.DLL problem.

Are you able to get into 'Safe Mode' on your system ?

9. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

nope, still won't work, get the same error.

i dont know what to do:(

10. ian.t

ian.t

Ok Drew

Could you please list what occurs from the moment you hit the start button on your PC. please make sure there are no cd's or floppies in the system before you do so.

Are there any error messages ? for example.

11. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

Start up PC, everything goes normal, shows my Geforce info at the top left hand like it has for the past year, Windows ME logo comes up as normal, then, my desktop background shows, then the error pops up, BrowseUI.DLL has caused an error in Explorer, then I can only hit Close. After I hit cloes, nothing happends, just my desktop background. I hit Control+ALT+DEL once to see if anything is running, and it doesn't have anything listed.

I'm really worried :(

Thank you guys for all the help that you're providing.

12. ian.t

ian.t

Im not sure what you mean by "nothing happens" when you close the error dialogue box. Does the box actually close ? or is it stuck there ?

Go through the same startup process again but please do not press ctrl + alt +del. Is your desktop background as per normal ?

I'm not that familiar with Windows ME interface (sorry!) but can you access the start menu button ? We really need to get to your registry.

13. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

I close the window and it goes away. No icons or startup menu is there.

Just your background image (mine is normal). Canno't right click, access any menus, or anything.

14. ian.t

ian.t

Before Win Me gets into gear (after the POST test - which is usually a bleep) please press F8 key to get into a menu which will give you access to Safe Mode. If your system is starting up into windows - even though its not functioning properly - we should be able to get into safe Mode or at least a dos prompt.

15. Drew88

Drew88 Thread Starter

yeah, i can get into DOS prompt.

just can't get into the actual Menu/Icons of windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice