1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Browsing Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Illmatic94, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Illmatic94

Illmatic94 Thread Starter

Ok, I have a wireless router & server in my house which 3 computers use for the internet/printer. Recently we had a problem with the connection and our ISP came out and repaired the signal, which is now fine,

However, on my laptop, I am having problems viewing webpages. I know the connection is ok because the other computers are working fine, but the laptop gives me a "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" message in IE. I can however, connect to MSN Messenger, Poker programs etc. As far as I can tell it only won't allow to access http.

I have no knowledge of networking, TCP/IP, etc and so I'm completely lost as to what I should do, so I hoped maybe someone here could shed some light.

Thank You

2. Augie65

Augie65

In IE, click on Tools> Internet Options> on the General tab, click to Delete Cookies, Delete Files, and Clear History. On the Content tab> AutoComplete button> click to Clear Forms and Clear Passwords. Then click OK, Apply and OK. Close IE and then try the sites again.

3. Illmatic94

nope, that didnt work.
    I know the guys who were fixing the server did something with the IP address, would that have anything to do with it? As I said, I have no idea about these things, just seems to make sense that maybe the IPs are out of sync or something...

4. Augie65

Augie65

If you are running Windows XP try this.
    Start> Run> type cmd and hit OK.
    At the command prompt, type:
    ipconfig /flushdns then hit Enter.
    Next type:
    ipconfig /renew then hit Enter.
    Close command prompt, reboot and try again.

5. Illmatic94

i did all that, still no luck though.
    same thing is happening

6. Illmatic94

ok, Im not at home anymore, I've moved back into my flat but the same thing is happening.
    As a result, its obviously not a problem with my home network, as the exact same thing happens on this wireless network, it has to be a problem with my laptops settings.

I went through the entire XP troubleshooter but none of the solutions made any difference. Could some please try to help?

7. Illmatic94

Ive noticed that in my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, everything is set to be done automatically eg. Obtain an IP address automatically, Obtain DNS server address automatically & Automatic private IP address. Is this right?

All of the forms for user configured are blank, I was wondering, is there a default Ip, Default Gateway, DNS number etc that should be entered?

Please help me someone, this is becoming a massive problem for me, and I don't want to have to bring it in to a maintenance place if it's only a simple solution (I'm a student, and therefore, broke).

8. kaone

kaone

Hi

Did you discover what the problem was? I have a similar problem so would be interested in your experience.

Thanks

9. Illmatic94

i did eventually, thing is, im not too sure what fixed it.

I uninstalled my viruscan (McAfee) and played around with my connection settings.

10. kaone

kaone

the connection settings on the router or the pc?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice