1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

browsing probs with new XP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimjamuk, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimjamuk

jimjamuk Thread Starter

Hi all,

First post so here goes

Just completed a rebuild of my machine - XP pro fresh install

Now when I try to browse the CD drive or a USB pen drive in Windows Explorer - it see's no files. I have checked out the CD drive for new drivers but the Liteon site says the built in Windows ones are the latest - the pen drive workd fine before the rebuild without any drivers - leaving me with the guess it is XP itself with the problem. Before asking I've not put any patches on yet - but then i dont see this as a patching issue - browsing the CD! For the hardware guys out there - the CD is detected fine in the bios and is assigned a drive letter as normal. Device manager reports the device as working OK.

To complicate things - when i put in a CD and autorun kicks in it attempts to launch the application which must mean it can read the autorun file - it stops though with the carnt find file eg setup.exe pane. Right clicking the devices gives me the properties for the drives. I added a second hard drive to the machine which works fine and i has some software that needs a CD to run on that drive - I open the app and it asks for the CD - I put it in and it launches. I try to browse the CD - NOTHING.

As for the pen drive - I plug it in to the USB and it is assigned a drive letter - browse it and NOTHING

This one is now bothering me and wondered if anyone had any idea's

Cheers

Jimjamuk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice