1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BS 2.0 Virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by knd20, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knd20

knd20 Thread Starter

In searching the Internet at work, I found your web site and someone who had the exact same problem as I experienced last night.

When my husband came home from work yesterday, the computer was on (that in itself bothers us since I know for a fact I turned it off the night before). I have a virus of some sort on my computer. A window pops up in the center of the screen "your computer has detected spyware infection! Windows has detected spyware; it is recommended to use a special antsipyware program. Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware program", etc. The title of the box is BS 2.0. While this is happening, the desktop screen changed colors to black then white. A drop down box appears with so called file names (Trojan is in each one) and various levels of infections. According to this program, it found 112 viruses. There are icons above the title but are not activated. Off to the far right is text stating “this version of BS is for evaluation purpose only. The removal feature is disabled. You may scan your PC to locate malware threats. To be able to remove threats found you must purchase a license". I tried pressing ctrl, alt delete but I get a message stating “task manager was deactivated by the administrator”. I also can’t close BS 2.0. The only way to turn off my computer is switching off the power back-up box.

I’m dead in the water and can’t do anything. I’m attending college at night and can’t afford to loose these files (homework, assignments, etc). Can you help me regain control of my computer?

Thanks

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. knd20

knd20 Thread Starter

I can't even start up the computer in safe mode. When I turn the power back on, the BS 2.0 window pops up. I never thought this would have happened with Norton on the computer! :confused:

4. cybertech

Sounds like you need to try a repair with your XP CD.

5. knd20

knd20 Thread Starter

Well, it gets worse -- I bought the computer at Best Buy January 2006. THEY installed the software. I have nothing to reinstall on the computer, no operating CDs, no Microsoft software.

I do believe I'm dead in the water............:(

6. cybertech

I would contact them and see what they suggest.

7. knd20

knd20 Thread Starter

I was afraid you would say that. I did call them this afternoon. They said it could take 4-5 business days to repair the computer at a cost of $350+. Right now, I don't see any other option.......

But I do want to say thanks for all your help.;)

8. cybertech

I would purchase a new copy of XP and not let them "fix" it!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice