1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bsod: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x86bb8980, 0x86bb8af4, 0x805d2954)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1stgendak, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

That is the error message I am getting when the blue screen appears. I only get the BSOD when my computer has been idle for a while, and I have to manually hold down the restart button for it to turn off.

I have tried system restore to three prior dates when i wasn't having this problem.

I have no idea what recent install could have cause a problem. The only thing I can think of it an 8gb flash drive I got and backed up some files onto. It is an HP v125w

I have tried searching for software to fix this, but every time they say free repairs, they really mean a free scan, then make you pay $60 to register the software and fix the problems.

I really hope you guys have some suggestions for me. Also please be sensitive to my lack of technical jargon.

Thanks in advance,
    Zac

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

3. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

I only have one in that folder..... Mini011111-01.dmp

I attached the zip file for you. What is a Minidump?

Zac

Attached Files:

4. Phantom010

Unfortunately, your minidump file dates back to Jan. 11, so it doesn't tell us what recently happened.

A minidump file records the smallest set of useful information that may help identify why your computer has stopped unexpectedly.

Does the problem occur when plugging in your USB flash drive only?

5. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

No the computer acts normal when I insert the flash drive! It only displays the BSOD after the computer has been idle for a while...Like 20 minutes.

I just restarted my computer (after it showing the blue screen) and I got an error message. I am attaching a screen shot of the error message.

I will restart my computer after typing this and not insert the flash drive and see if the same thing happens.

Zac

Attached Files:

6. Phantom010

The error message is related to a Dell Printer Driver. It seems like a DLL for a timer of some sort. Maybe that explains the 20 minute delay? You can try reinstalling your printer driver.

7. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

I uninstalled the old printer and re-installed it. After a restart I got the same error message on start-up!

I am not going to sit idle for a while and see if the screen goes blue. I do not have the flash drive inserted into the usb port...

Stay tuned!
    Zac

8. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

Yep it still did it! It took roughly 20 minutes of just sitting there to show the BSOD!

Upon startup I still get the same error message!

Is there anything else I can try?
    Zac

9. Phantom010

10. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

I think I followed the direction correctly. I just experienced the BSOD and I went to the C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and there was still just the single file. Maybe it is storing them somewhere else. I am attaching a screen shot of the minidump settings...

I am going to...
    start
    right click My Computer
    properties
    advanced
    startup and recovery settings

Zac

Attached Files:

11. Phantom010

12. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

Damn I just had another crash, and there is still just one file in the minidump folder?????????????????? I downloaded the BlueScreenView program, but it still will only read the one file from 1/11/2011

13. Phantom010

Does your computer restart automatically when getting the blue screen?

14. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That error can indicate a usb root hub power problem.
    This may be supported by the fact that it occurs after the computer has been idle and is not apparent after you insert the flash drive.
    While Phantom010 establishes if he can get a current minidump for blue screen view.
    Go System Hardware device manager and check for warnings on the USB.
    Particularly look at the root hubs and power management.
    If allow windows to turn off power is checked.
    Uncheck it.

15. 1stgendak

1stgendak Thread Starter

I changed it so it does restart after a bluescreen. The problem is that it fails to reboot. It gives me the option to do a self diagnostic test, so I did it last time. Everything passes, until the "Short DST Short Test" which fails. It then asks if i want to continue test, so I said OK. It then comes back and says that there is no "Diagnostic Boot Utility Partition" found. Whatever that means. It then tries to restart and gets stuck at the same black screen where it prompted me to do the self diagnostic test.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice