1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD after graphics card install (second card!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DEFECTiON, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Some time ago I purchased a Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 630 Graphics Card and immediately after installing it I encountered BSOD issues. I tried the numerous guides on how to potentially sort this online (uninstalling and reinstalling Nvidia programs/drivers in certain orders) but never fixed the problem. Sadly I lost the box and receipt, so it's now a paperweight.

Now, I decided to cut my losses and try a completely different card in the hope that the problem would no longer happen. Not wanting to use Nvidia again I opted for the Sapphire Radeon R7 250.

All was well for the first day, however I then got a BSOD. Sadly this has now continued time after time.

I tried getting Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstalling all the drivers that it allowed me to. I am currently running the PC with no graphics card driver (as far as I can tell) and I just have the basic look to my Windows 7. I came home today and once again I have had a BSOD.

My reason for wanting a new graphics card is that I'm running a dual monitor setup, when I'm on the on-board graphics card with a single monitor there are no issues at all.

Any help is hugely appreciated, thank you in advance!

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

3. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Thank you for your response, I can't quite figure it out myself, here is the latest BSOD reports:
    http://i.imgur.com/XQhDiB5.jpg

Thanks in advance!

4. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

After leaving the computer overnight I have come back to another BSOD, this time a different one:
    Bug check string: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (this is a frequent error though.)
    Bug check code: 0x0000001e
    Caused by driver: aswStm.sys+58b8 (Seems to be Avast, but its the first time I've seen this driver cause an error?)
    Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+75b90 (This almost ALWAYS seems to be the cause.)

Any help at all guys? Really unsure of what I can do from here.

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

6. CleaverX

CleaverX

Some of those BSOD's were caused by a sound system driver, make sure those are all up to date as well.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As you are talking about a GPU change / upgrade, my first question would always be ...

'what is the exact make, model and wattage of your power supply?'

What is the exact make and model of the PC assuming its a pre-built system like a HP, Dell, Acer etc?

If its a self / custom build what is the exact make and model of the motherboard, processor, RAM, hard drives etc? The more info the better, then people are more likely to be able to give you an informed response.

What version of Windows are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit?

8. keerbear412

keerbear412

I have run into this issue in the past several times. It always occurred on a system with an AMD processor. You can download the driver from the website and there is also a fix to go with it. I would look on the video card website. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

9. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Hey guys, thank you all for your responses. Sadly the computer took a turn for the worst today and I got a little overly-frustrated with it (I also use it for work) and decided it was time to just bite the bullet and upgrade.

Will hopefully be having an entirely new computer coming tomorrow.

Sorry I won't be able to give a resolution, the issue annoyed me for a little too long!

Thank you to all who posted, it's hugely appreciated.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice