1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD after installing new hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AizA, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

My error is BSOD -- "Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated."

.... it tells me to run chkdsk /f, but then I try that switch and it tells me that it is an invalid switch!
    I am really bumming and hope someone can help me ...

Here are my exact error codes and symptoms:

Stop: 0x0000007b (0xf88c2528, 0xc0000034, (last two are all zeroes)

I have tried 2 brand new hard drives on this Compaq laptop.

I install the hard drive, and boot from CD (XP home).

It formats then installs XP.

Upon its own reboot I get the XP logo and then the blue screen with the above error.

If it is a boot sector virus, how do I get rid of it when I cannot boot at all? I'd be willing to try to solve it is if it a boot sector virus -- PLEASE HELP! I have already spent $150 on hard drives!!!!!

Thank you to anyone willing to help here.

Don in Tucson
    AizA

2. kimsland

kimsland

3. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Thank you, Kimsland, but I am a doofus ....

I have this on the screen:

C:\windows> from there I add so it looks like this:
    C:\windows>chkdsk /f

I get this message: The parameter is not valid. Try /? for help.

What am I doing wrong?

THANK YOU!!!

Don in Tucson
    AizA

4. kimsland

kimsland

5. ezymony

ezymony

chkdsk c: /f notice the space between c: and the back slash.

6. kimsland

kimsland

forward

7. ezymony

ezymony

My bad maybe they will know what we are talking about anyway.

8. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

OK, I KNOW I am not this stupid ..... I have used the FORWARD slash, done this from the C prompt and remembered the space ... I even used cap F and lower f. I get the same response.
    Maybe I am doing this in the wrong place ..
    I booted from CD, went to R when I had the chance to do so (instead of install or quit), entered 1 for the version of Windows I was repairing and Enter at the request for password. This gave me my C:\WINDOWS prompt.
    I have done NUMEROUS chkdsk /r here to repair issues, but it WILL NOT accept the /f at this spot.
    I am so sorry to be such a pain, and I am truly grateful for the time you two have offered in this quest.

--On that note, any ideas what might be causing my intial problem with the blue screen, or should we hold off on that until I get this chkdsk /f completed?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Don in Tucson
    AizA
    (Really I am not as stupid as this thread might make me appear!!!) :):):)

9. ezymony

ezymony

No question is stupid or the person posting it have you tried another ide cable or sata don't know that much about laptops haven't had to tear mine apart yet.

10. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Thanks .. :)

This is a laptop, so there are no cables for IDE, etc. And this is the second brand new drive I have tried.

I am where I am because this working laptop stopped booting fully into Windows and I tested the hard drive and determined it is bad. That is when I bought the first new drive and it caused the same error I got above.

I'd love to ge this chkdsk /f to work so I can either fix it with that or eliminate it as the next step so I can move on to the next one.

I read another post with this same error and someone suggested it might be a boot sector virus. How can I check that if I can't boot initially?

THANK YOU!!!!

Don in Tucson
    AizA

11. ezymony

ezymony

12. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

I read the link and it certainly sounds interesting .... I am not using the disks that came with this laptop, but a regular XP Home disk. Perhaps the actual Compaq disk might contain some specialized driver necessary for this machine.
    --I read how the TA.exe proggy might check things, but where do I get that proggy and when do I run it? I was kinda confused on that part.
    It makes sense that it is missing some driver as I know the hard drives are good and I know the XP home install disk is also good. Since the original hard drive that was in this machine is no longer functioning, I cannot run the Compaq receovery using the recovery partition.
    Do you think I might be able to get these drivers by using an XP Pro disk instead of XP home? I can alway get them loaded and then go back to Home, no?
    Thank you fr the link; it was terrifically helpful. (Even though I don't know how to run the TA.exe proggy)
    I appreciate your advice.
    Don in Tucson
    AizA

13. bbearren

bbearren

You need the Compaq drivers for your model laptop. The generic hard drive controller being installed by XP is evidently not suitable.

No, they won't be on an XP Pro disk. You'll need to get them from Compaq. You might be able to download them from their web site.

And, chkdsk /r implies /f, so you don't really need to use the /f switch, anyway.

14. AizA

AizA Thread Starter

Thank you BB! I have already researched the COmpaq sie and I can buy the recovery disk set for $17.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll revisit this post when I get the disks and have tried them and report on the progress for anyone else who might read this.

Don in Tucson
    AizA

15. bbearren

bbearren

That should get you going. Good luck, and Happy Holidays!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice