1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD after windows xp loading screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by euwan, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. euwan

euwan Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am using a very old pc. It was working fine previously but then all of a sudden when you start it up just after the windows loading screen you see a bsod for like a second then the pc itself restarts and always goes to the F8 screen to select safe mode or other options which all of them hang.

I have tried to boot it up by using the windows xp disc but all that happens is you hear the cd spin up and then a message on the screen comes up saying please wait while windows searches for hardware configuration or similar words to that effect. After about another 5secs the cd stops spinning and the computer hangs on a black screen. I have left if for atleast 20min and still nothing happens.

I am using an hatachi ide hdd which is brand new (same hdd was in use while pc was working)

I have tried both cd drives and the same thing happens it spins up then stops.

If someone would have a resolution to this problem I would be grateful

2. euwan

euwan Thread Starter

Any one? any help at all would be appreciated

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you cannot start with the installation CD either to to recovery console or setup mode, I'm not sure what could be the problem -- but usually some hard drive detection is necessary for either

We might get some clue if you can read the BSOD error itself.

If you can boot to the F8 boot menu you should see an option there to disable the automatic restart you are now experiencing.

Try that and see if you can read the BSOD error parameters, and driver file if one is mentioned.

If you can boot to the recovery console, things to try are:

chdksk /r

fixboot

fixmbr

http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

4. euwan

euwan Thread Starter

ok I managed to stop the automatic restart and the technical information that it gave me was this

***stop:0x0000008e (0xc0000005 , 0x805c7f7, 0xf88ba504, 0x00000000)

Also when i pressed f8 i selected something like enable vga mode and it came up that cannot start because a file is missing, the file was

system32/drivers/ntfs.sys

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you replace ntfs.sys following this method >>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

Another approach would be to create something like UBCD4win, which can allow you to copy from an external drive.

If the computer has a floppy drive, you might be able to copy from it as well.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Slaving the drive to do it is still another option.

If the BSOD (8E) continues after that, check the ram.

You may have other corrupt or missing files on the system and running chkdsk /r from the recovery console is still a good idea if you can do it.

The Recovery Console is also a part of UBCD4win and chkdsk can be run from it's interface independently.

6. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Faulty ram? it is an old pc

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice