1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD and hanging issues are halting System Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SgtB, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SgtB

SgtB Thread Starter

My Vista PC has been acting up for weeks. Tried multiple times to go back to previous restore points, but kept having boot, and unexpected shutdown issues. I finally managed over several tries to get my data backed up to an external HD, so I could re-install Vista clean.

During system recovery/reformatting, I kept getting BSOD with various number codes in them (0x0000007e, 0x000000d1, etc), or the system would just hang with a black screen. One time I got so far as 100% reformat complete, and 86% of software complete before it died. So I decided to run killdisk hoping that would give recovery a clean slate to work with. Killdisk ran fine, but I am still getting the BSOD almost every time I boot, often before I even get to the recover prompt screen. Please help me!!!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try RAM testing.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

3. Soundy

Soundy

Sounds like severe hardware failure of some form. I'd start with running hardware diagnostics on the hard drive (look for a manufacturer's diagnostic, like Seagate SeaTools or Western Digital Data Lifeguard), and on the RAM (memtest86+). Memtest runs from a bootable CD or USB drive... both SeaTools and DLG should have DOS bootable versions as well.

4. SgtB

SgtB Thread Starter

thanks to both of you so far.. i had tried to run a bootable hardware diagnostic before, but it had failed as well due to BSOD. so i tried Elvandil's suggestion of pulling one RAM at a time. i think i got lucky on the first one i tried - because when i restarted this time (with only 1 RAM) the hardware diagnostic CD booted fine and has been running for a while with no errors. let's hope it's just one bad RAM - that I can fix!

5. SgtB

SgtB Thread Starter

and incidentally, before things got really bad, and I decided to go so far as to completely re-install windows, i ran all kinds of diagnostic tools from the regular tools on the computer. nothing turned up to indicate I had a RAM that was going bad. is that normal? because i certainly would not have gone through all the trouble of backing up everything and re-installing all programs if the computer had just told me i had a RAM issue...

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

RAM is central to the machine, of course. Everything runs there, even diagnostic tests (which is why memtest86 moves its program around in RAM to be sure that all parts are tested). You therefore can't trust anything that a test tells you if RAM is defective. Asking that the machine tell you that RAM is defective is kind of like asking a stroke victim what part of their brain was damaged.

7. SgtB

SgtB Thread Starter

ha ha. good analogy. i get your point.

still sad for all the work/pain i need to go through to get all my software re-installed. but i guess it never hurts to periodically clean out all the garbage that has inevitably accumulated on my system. i'm telling myself it will probably run better after the re-install... :)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. SgtB

SgtB Thread Starter

i am trying to run the recovery now with just one of the RAM installed (it's 1GB). looks promising so far.

i'm not sure if that will be enough to run Vista at all, or to run Vista comfortably. do i need to replace the bad RAM with the same size? i thought i heard that it was not great to combine different sizes, but that would have been several years ago. if the difference in size doesn't matter - should i upgrade to a bigger RAM while I'm buying a replacement???

10. SgtB

SgtB Thread Starter

it worked! thank you so much! i am running on one RAM until i get a replacement for the bad one, but it's allowed me to re-install everything except MS Office, so I can limp along for a week or so. really appreciate your help. using 1 RAM at a time was the tip that made the difference.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/991930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice