1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSod at startup - CHKDSK?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mesh, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mesh

mesh Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm running Windows XP on an ex-(Australian)-army Panasonic Toughbook. It's got a new hard drive in it, because the old one was taken out and smashed before being sold (so. the army could protect it's secretzzz!!). It's got a touch-screen, as well as an MP slot, where I've got a CD drive, or I can swap it for a floppy.

At the moment on startup I'm getting the startup option screen, and after choosing my option (I've tried the three most obvious options - Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally - with no change) I get about 10sec of normal startup (with the XP logo etc.) before it goes to a BSoD:

"Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."
    *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83B34520, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I don't know what to do! Do I need to take it to a computer doctor? I'd really like to avoid that if possible, because I'm extremely poor at the moment, and my car has just died.

If someone could walk me through running CHKDSK from Command Prompt in Safe Mode that'd probably be cool.

Mais
    xox

2. allheart55

allheart55

Click "START" Click RUN

[​IMG]

In the textbox type chkdsk /r Click Okay.

[​IMG]

A black command window will open, with the following message. Select Y Push the enter on the keyboard and the command line will disappear. Reboot the machine and Chkdsk will begin.

[​IMG]

3. mesh

mesh Thread Starter

Hey AllHeart,

Thanks for the reply! I tried to be super-comprehensive in my original post, but what I didn't mention is that I can't actually get into Windows: the BSoD rears its ugly head before anything occurs. It seems like my only option is running Safe Mode in Command Prompt, which is one of the options when I start up.

Sorry for the vagueness, and thanks heaps for the help. If I'm being thick and there is atually a way of getting into normal Windows, I'd love to know!

Cheers,
    Mais

4. mesh

mesh Thread Starter

P.S. Is this at all fixable? Or is it a re-install Windows job?

5. allheart55

allheart55

It depends on what is causing this to happen. It's almost always fixable, sometimes it means a reformat and fresh install. I would run the chkdsk /r in command using safe mode and see what happens, first.:)

6. mesh

mesh Thread Starter

Cheers for the help :)

I tried running Chkdsk in command in safe mode and it went to the same blue screen almost immediately. I think I'll just take it to a computer doctor, because this is way beyond me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my hard drive is held in with chopsticks!

Thanks again,
    xoxo
    (Over and out!)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice