1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD Bad Pool Header Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chepdamona, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chepdamona

chepdamona Thread Starter

ok well i just spent 15 minutes typing out my problem nicely explaining very well whats been happening to my computer, only for it to give me my 5th or 6th BSOD for the day so im just gonna give you the general idea of whats happening.

I recently installed Wolfram Research's Mathematica onto my Windows 7 64bit system. it worked fine until i rebooted the computer, then everytime i tried to use it it'd give me a blue screen with a bad pool header message. It also caused outlook 2007 to give the same error everytime it was opened. Uninstalling Mathematica did nothing, Doing a system restore didnt help either, (although this could be because there wasnt an old enough restore point) After the system restore pdf files also caused it to crash.

i have checked my RAM and also updated my drivers but nothing has worked.

If anyone can help i'd be very happy.

ive attached a file containing the minidumps from just today's crashes (including the one which occured when i tried to save my hijackthis log, unfortunately this happened while i was still typing this post so i had to type the bloody thing again damnit)

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually you did not successfully attach the file. Be sure to wait for the prompt to close the attachments window. Make sure the file size does not exceed the limit.

A quick fix for this should simply be System Restore

What is the earliest date you can restore to?

Be sure to check the option to show all restore points or you may not see those older than 5 days. Any install using the Microsoft Installer, including updates, should create a restore point.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/system-restore-windows-7.htm

3. chepdamona

the earliest date i can restore to is 30/3/10, although there should definately be more restore points before that, and i checked the box asking if i wanted to show more dates. unfortunately the 30th is after the date i installed mathematica, so hopefully there is something else i can do.

sorry about the attachment, should work this time

Attached Files:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

These are all identical "Pool Corruption" faults. No specific faulting driver is identified, and the running process varies.

Looking at the "trap frame" of the error there are many Trend Micro processes, and security programs are one of the most common causes of this type of error since they have access to the Windows kernel at a very low level.

I would completely uninstall Trend for a test, and if you receive the error after that, upload the new minidump. If no error, reinstall Trend or the security program of your choice and retest.

For reference you can see all the Trend modules in the trap frame here >>

Another more remote possiblility is the Iphone process or application highlighted in blue.

5. chepdamona

ok cheers ill uninstall Trend and get back to you

6. chepdamona

ok i unisntalled Trend and rebooted.

When the computer started back up i tried opening outlook. it gave me a message about a problem with normalemail.dotm (which it also did after i first uninstalled Mathematica) but it worked fine after that.

This made me very happy lol. unfortunately when i tried a in browser (chrome) pdf file it crashed again, although i did notice it took longer to do so, as i had already opened up a new page to come here and post my thanks for the fix.

ive attached the new minidump so hopefully you can find whatelse could be causing the problem

-edit

lol turns out the outlook problem wasnt fixed, it just took a little longer to cause a crash. When i first tested it i was happy that it didnt crash straight away and closed it lol

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well Trend is completely gone, but the basic error is the same.

From a look at the stack text it seems like something is going on with fonts. I saw this on some previous as well.

I don't know whether this is a bad font itself -- or something associated with your Outlook templates if those are being callled for some reason.

But have you tried renaming normal.dot?

http://www.officearticles.com/word/about_normal_dot_in_microsoft_word.htm

I'll check back once more before I leave in about a half-hour, but will be gone until tommorrow morning probably after that.

8. chepdamona

when i open outlook i tells me there's a problem and asks if i'd like to create a new normalemail.dotm.
    I chose yes yet this did not help.

I'm thinking the only way to get around this is to reinstall windows:( unless you can think of anything else?

If not I'm very greatful for the effort you put into trying to help me, cheers mate:)

9. chepdamona

ok say the problem has everything to do with fonts, is there a way to replace all my font files which are used by microsoft office and pdf files?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Don't have much experience with this, but you might try trolling through the various MS or other help files for troubleshooting fonts >>

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...g+fonts+windows+7&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1155-fonts-install.html
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Install-or-uninstall-fonts

I would also recommend running chkdsk on the drive. And perhaps try a "clean boot".

You should reinstall your antivirus since that seems not to be involved.

chkdsk: http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

clean boot:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

In "Clean Boot" testing I would pay special attention to printer related drivers that may be called when certain file types are opened.

11. chepdamona

Can't figure it out, thanks for all the help though.

I think I'll just reinstall windows when i get the motivation lol.

I appreciate the effort you put into trying to help me, cheers mate

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You might want to try the clean boot test (it is really very simple).

I would pay close attention to any Printer drivers loading as similar issues have been associated with calls for printer related fonts.

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup items" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice