1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD - bcmwl664.sys

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by reynen, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reynen

reynen Thread Starter

Hello Tech Support Guy Community,

**I am running vista on a macbook pro and consequently I am not 100% whether or not this is the appropriate place for such a post – so I apologize in advance if this thread is misplaced. **

I've got a problem - my computer has begun to blue screen. It occurs when I am using my wireless adapter, specifically when transferring large files via web browser or torrents (large drivers, open source software, purchased games from direct2drive.com, etc) – felt I would clarify that due to the strict anti-piracy rules here. To the best of my knowledge the bsod has pointed the finger towards my wireless adapter and/or its driver.

In response to the appearance of these blue screens I carried out the standard procedures - repairing the driver and browsing the web for solutions. I downloaded the 2.1 bootcamp update (got the bsod while doing that the first time) which I already had, and then repaired all the drivers. Also I disabled vistas auto-tuning. After these steps the bsod didn’t occur for several days, however just a couple hours ago it happened again.

I don’t know what I should do to solve this – and I really don’t want to do a complete reinstall of the OS. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I took a picture of the BSOD which can be seen at:
    http://kuru.ca/bsod.jpg

Here are my system specs:
    Macbook Pro (2008 Edition)
    Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz (T9500)
    320 7200 RPM HDD
    4GB Ram
    Vista Business x64 SP1

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post.

- Len

2. reynen

reynen Thread Starter

Got another bluescreen.. :(
    This time I was downloading max payne 2 in the background from direct2drive while watching a movie. Same bluescreen.
    Anyone got any ideas?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's possible the BSOD has nothing to do with the drivers themselves, but with the integrity of the wireless broadcast itself
    Do you get any errors if connected directly to the modem or router, or if the Macbook is very close to the router?

Is the wireless connection encrypted? Are there devices nearby that might interfere?

Also if you are doing multiple things at the same time which involve heavy processing -- you could be overheating.

4. reynen

reynen Thread Starter

Hey Rollin' Rog, Thanks for the reply :)
    I have never gotten a blue screen when directly connected to a router - however I have never been in a position where I was using wifi while sitting beside the router. I am however only sitting no more than 10 meters from the router with two drywall walls between us.

My router is broadcasting with WPA2 encryption due to my neighbours - however I'm not using mac filtering because its my understanding that it frequently causes disconnects.. oh and its overkill.

I changed the channel my router was using due to the wireless phones we have in the house, amongst other changes, and the disconnects I was experiencing have seemed to come to a halt - however my wifi connection still switches from local + internet to only local frequently. I don't know if this is a symptom.

Macbook pros are known to run really hot when running vista but so far I haven't had any overheating issues despite high temperatures. I've gotten the bluescreen when practically nothing was running before - so I believe that rules out the overheating possibility.

Hopefully this helps narrow things down.

- Len

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So the problem only happens on the Vista OS?

And you have the latest vista drivers for the LAN and Wireless devices?
    The 64 bit version, unfortunately, is still not the best choice for driver compatibility.

Is Bit Torrent always loaded when this happens? Can you completely disable it and test without it?

Are you using a 3rd party (Non Windows) firewall?

I don't know whether it will help since you've identified the faulting module, but I can have a further look at the dumpcheck to see if there are any more clues there >>

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

6. reynen

reynen Thread Starter

Hello again Rollin' Rog :D

I attached a zip file containing a minidump from just last night. I went to bed and left my machine on only to wake up to a blue screen. I don't know why, but I only had one dump file - maybe it has to do with me using CCleaner religiously. Sorry if this is not enough :S.

Here is the message vista gave me upon waking:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
    Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: d1
    BCP1: 0000000000000020
    BCP2: 0000000000000002
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: FFFFFA600361ACF5
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101808-01.dmp
    C:\Users\reynen\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-104832-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\reynen\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCF9D.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if uTorrent was running last night - I had it downloading duke nukem's high res pack (you should check it out if you liked the original duke nukem 3d). I think I killed it before I went to bed but I am not 100% on that. The bluescreens have occured when not using uTorrent - I believe - I will refrain from using it until I reproduce a bluescreen just to be sure.

In terms of firewalls I use Kaspersky Internet Secrurity 2009.

And in terms of drivers I have the latest set from apple (bootcamp 2.1 drivers). I am not sure if I should install any more recent drivers straight from broadcom - I guess I can give it a whirl.

-Len

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes CCleaner is probably deleting them.

The key here is probably that uTorrent was running. There may be a compatibility issue.

I would keep it disabled or uninstall it and see if you get any new ones.

If Broadcom has a more recent 64 bit Vista compatible driver -- I would use it for sure.

Also, I'm afraid Kaspersky also has to be a suspect -- I would consider uninstalling it and just relying on the Windows Firewall if we don't find another solution.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice