1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD - can anybody tell me what causes it?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by opllars, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

I get a lot of BSODs, and I cant relate them to any special program or activity. From the error messages I can see that they usually are related to ksthunk.sys. I have tried to seach for the stop codes, but get no results from most of the searches.

Information about my pc:
    Vista x64 service pack 2
    3 years old pc
    OS was reinstalled 4 months ago
    CPU: Intel core2 DUO 2.66 GHz
    Videocard: Geforce 7300 LE 128 Mb
    Sound card: Fast track Pro (external - for music program)
    Asus Motherboard

2. Sponsor

3. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

I wanted to post a zip with all my minidumps, but didnt succed as it is larger than the 500Kb allowed. So I have attached the latest minidumps to this post and also a report on pcs health.
    Hope someone have a suggestion to what is wrong,
    Thanks, Ole

Attached Files:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ksthunk.sys is an MS audio/visual driver, not seen by default, but apparently used for some Audio Visual streaming applications.

Several of your BSODs does point to this hardware or associated drivers >>

>> This might have been a resume from sleep or hibernate error and may or may not be related to the ksthunk.sys faults.

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Studio/Proce...Pro-USB-Audio-MIDI-Interface-With-Mic-Preamps

What are you running when these "ksthunk" faults happen?

Might be related to your Sony Ericsson device as that is one of the more unusual things you have running >> Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for s0016wh.sys

Also you have drivers for both Panda Antivirus and Avast, Panda may be orphaned. In any case you should not have both running

Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for pavboot64.sys
    Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSP.SYS

Ksthunk.sys >>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc267814.aspx >> just reinforces the message that this is related to a streaming audiio/visual configuration.

5. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

Thanks, Rollin´Rog

I have uninstalled the Panda active scan, that I had installed for a single online virus check.

Would you suggest that I reinstalled drivers for the M-audio Fasttrack sound card or that I totally remove it and find and install another sound card?

Regarding "audio/visual streaming configuration" - I will try to reinstall realplayer, quicktime and all audio/visual players I have. Can I do more than that?

You asked: "What are you running when these "ksthunk" faults happen?"
    The bluescreens can happen at any time, I havent noticed that it happens when running any particular program.

6. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

I just wanted to add that I run a lot of audio software for music studio. Could this be were I should search for the reason, as well as streaming audio/video software?

7. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

Btw: The other day I ran a program called "BlueScreenView" and it also pointed towards the driver/file ntoskml.exe as a potential cause to BSOD

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's a core system memory manager and faults with that are almost always caused by something else that could be driver or hardware related.

If you have no other sound device, then I would just try reinstalling the drivers (look for an update if one is available) and continue to test.

However if you have an alternative device (integrated sound chip on the mobo perhaps?) -- you might want to try physically removing the card or perhaps just disabling it and enabling the integrated device for testing temporarily)

Upload any new minidumps after that.

Is there an external amp or mixer attached, such as in the link I was looking at? If so, remove that as I suspect the issue, or atleast one of them is caused by an external USB device. Those would be the 9F "Power State" errors that I saw.

Keep in mind that your particular 9F fault is related to a sound device >>

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE&ac=8

There are some Vista related links that point to a "hotfix" but you already have SP2 so that is not going to be a solution.

The general description here is valid for all systems >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246243

9. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

I tried yesterday to reinstall drivers for the soundcard (the M-audio fasttrack - which actually is a kind of external preamplifier as you suggest). To my surprise I found that beside the updated driver that I installed approximately 2 months ago, the old driver was also still installed. I uninstalled both of them, and reinstalled the updated driver (I got the latest one) and wished the problem was then gone, but today (01/24) I got a bluescreen again.....I have attached the dumpfile for that last crash.

BTW - I have also a keyboard connected to the pc - usually the power is off - but I use it sometimes - I just mention it, because its from the same company and called axiom 25, and since something with audio is under suspect.

Attached Files:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you know if you ever enabled Windows "Driver Verifier"? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795949.aspx
    Let's make sure that is "off" and then retest to see if the error occurs without it.

Go to Start > Run, and enter:

verifier /reset

And reboot the computer.

11. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

Thanks,

I ran the verifier /reset and when I rebooted, It ran a CHKDSK which lasted for 2 hours, and took care of 23.726.600 free (clusters ?) (dont know the english word).
    It sees that my pc is running quicker - I dont know it its because the verifier test or the chkdsk

Should I send you a any diagnostic material or should I just awaite a new BSOD ? (and hope there will be no more?)

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Unusual for chkdsk to run unless there is some serious corruption. That fixed -- and fewer drive read errors -- you will see a speed increase.

Let me look at the log; you can find it in the Event Viewer eventvwr.msc > Applications log > Wininit entry (you may have to filter to find it).

Also give HDtune (free version) a run and see if it finds any bad blocks >>

http://www.hdtune.com/

If you do get more BSODs -- upload them as before.

Attached Files:

13. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

Ok, I´ll run HDtune tonight. Here is the information you requested from event viewer. Unfortunately it is in danish.
    I can translate:
    Somewhere it says: "CHKDSK opdagede ledig plads markeret som allokeret i MFT-bitmappen."
    It means: " CHKDSK found free space marked as allocated in MFT-bitmap".
    "Ubrugte" og "Ubenyttede" means "unused"
    "Behandlet" means "treated"
    "Til rådighed" means "available"

Attached Files:

14. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

Ok, I ran the HDtune´s "error scan". It stopped after some hours when all the blocks were green.. .there were no message like "no errors found", just all squares green, i.e. no damaged blocks. But thats maybe all it does.

Should I run some of the other tests? Still no BSODs :)

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

All green is good.

Can't tell what was "treated" ("repaired" or "fixed" is the usual term I guess) -- but if any particular program fails -- you just have to reinstall it.

For now, just wait and see an upload any new bugchecks if you get one.

If all is well after a reasonable test you can update us with a "solved" tag and a further note.

Good luck!

16. opllars

opllars Thread Starter

Unfortunately I got a BSOD again, looks like the former ones.
    Yesterday my musik program "Ableton live 8" crashed, got an error message: "the program will terminate because of a serious error". I didnt reboot, and some hours later I got the BSOD, I wonder if these are related.
    I include the minidump. And something I found in Eventviewer from the time of the crash of Ableton, I dont know if its relevant.

I have tried to reinstall Ableton before, with no success, should I try again, now some of the other bugs are fixed?

Attached Files:

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice