1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD, crashes, freezes and multiple problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Netherspark, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Netherspark

Netherspark Thread Starter

Recently I've been having more and more problems with my PC. It's quite an old system and I'm wondering if more than one thing is dying.

I've been having BSOD more and more frequently along with total crashes and freezes. It's been getting slower and slower and is pretty much unusable for the first 5-10 minutes after starting up, it's just unresposive and I can hear the hard drive "grinding" away like a maniac.

I've also noticed some of the capacitors on the motherboard almost seem like they've burst and are partially crusted over with some dark solid gunk.

On startup/reboot I very often get one or more of these:

Disk read error. Press ctrl alt del to restart
    Unable to start operating system
    Just black, empty screen with the CPU fan on full speed
    One long error beep
    Repeated short error beeps
    Repeated long error beeps

I'm pretty sure that the processor, motherboard and HDD are all more-or-less dead.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome.
    You have described very well a dying, soon to be dead Pc.
    Were you able to save any needed data and files to another Pc?

3. Netherspark

Netherspark Thread Starter

It still works at the moment, it seems to have moods where sometimes it will be fine and then all of a suddden it just says no and will be completely unusable. I have several gigs of music and stuff to transfer off but it's managing, slowly.

So you think this is likely to be more than just one failing component? I'm short on money and don't want to end up replacing the whole thing when it may only need a new cpu/mobo/hard drive.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

All of the above clearly show that this Pc has not many hours to go before it finally gives up and says, no more.
    I'd transfer all needed files, data asap.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!