Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mash18

Hi,

Ok so I'm running Windows 10 Pro on HP Pavillion, Intel i3 1.9Gh

For now that's all the specs I can remember.

A few days ago my laptop started making a clicking noise and became a lot slower, however this morning when switching on I received the BSOD and the above message (Critical Service Failure/Failed)

I have tried to reboot in all 3 safe modes - which has not worked

I have tried to reboot with the F7 mode (I can't remember the name of it now)

And I've tried system restore to the 28th of March but I get the message that the drive needs to be repaired, of which I select scan and repair, which takes forever and halfway I get a message saying that Windows was unable to repair the drive followed by the ticking noise.

Is my Laptop dead or is there still a way to fix it??

Thanks

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi, all the signs of your hard drive dying.
Save all of your needed data and files as soon as possible.

You may be able to save any needed files- data etc using something similar to this.
IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Cable Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G
You remove the hard drive from your pc - connect it to a working pc by the USB cable and save any needed data and files, to the working pc.

crjdriver

The above is good advise. There is another method of saving or backing up data; boot the system with a linux live usb. If the disk is still readable, you will be able to copy data to another usb or external drive.

Mash18

*Update*

So my Laptop automatically went into this mode
As you can see in the attached images the hard drive check fails
However the memory is still fine.

I would like to take the laptop to a store to recover my files/data on an external device, but just to make sure, do you believe that such information will still be salvageable?

Attachments

crjdriver

No one can tell you at this point IF you can recover anything. You have to try and find out. Note data recovery can be quite expensive. Where I live a basic data recovery using just software runs $200 or so plus the cost of whatever media you want the data recovered to ie you have to recover to different media like an external drive. If there are only a few files, then it would be just a flash drive.
If you go to a shop, be sure and get an estimate before having anything done.
By shop, I mean just that a real shop that does builds, installs networks, etc NOT a best buy or other chain store.

Last edited:

crjdriver

I worded the above poorly. It almost certain that you can recover data; what is uncertain is the cost. If a software recovery is not possible, then the drive is disassembled and the platters are read. Note this is VERY expensive; ie $1000 and up so you REALLY have to want the files on the drive.

This is why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of your drive, this would be a 15min fix; 5min to install a new drive and 10min to restore the image. Back up and running in way less than 30min with all programs, data, etc that you had on the previous drive.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To chime in and confirm what the others have said... The clicking sound is known to mean that the hard drive is starting to fail and the SMART test is confirming that. I would also recommend getting the USB adapter with a new drive so that way you can connect the old hard drive via USB and transfer to the new computer. The question is, how much of a failure the hard drive has.

A local I.T. store can help you recover the files. I also concur not to use a chain store like best buy / staples / etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online