BSOD, cursor flashes twice, then disappears

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helperman

Hi. I am new to this site. A friend of mine has asked me to find out why his Toshiba Satellite, L305D-S5974, Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium, AMD Sempron Processor SI-42, 3GB DDR2Ram 250GB HDD computer will not boot up. He, somehow, dropped the laptop.

At boot up, the "Toshiba" screen comes up and requests selection of F2 or F12. Pressed f2. Screen changes to blank screen with flashing cursor. Cursor flashes twice.....then nothing. Learned that I must click f2 twice in order for boot manager screen to appear. Have clicked on Windows7 selection, the screen remains blank for several minutes while the disk slowly flashes (indicating it is loading). Error Recovery screen says "Windows failed to start"........then screen says "Window has encountered a prolem communication with a device connected to your computer. This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive oc CD-ROM drive that is failing. (There was a wireless mouse and the modem cable connected at the time of the incident.....but nothing is plugged into the laptop now). Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer. Status: 0xc00000e9.....Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

Can you help me with some ways to get this computer back into operation? Thanks

Best bet is to take it to a local Ma & Pa computer shop and get an estimate, hopefully a FREE estimate on what it would cost to fix. Dropping a laptop is not good and is not something everyone is comfortable about working on.

helperman

Best bet is to take it to a local Ma & Pa computer shop and get an estimate, hopefully a FREE estimate on what it would cost to fix. Dropping a laptop is not good and is not something everyone is comfortable about working on.
Thank you CaptainRon276. We were trying to find the problem ourselves. But I think you are probably right about this. Thanks again.

If you have a spare hard drive give it a try as that is one of the most likely items of hardware to have been damaged when a PC is dropped.

A quick after thought to add to my suggestion above. If you run Seatools (instructions below) it will quickly tell you if the hard drive is ok. If the diagnostic CD runs ok, irrespective of the results of the test, it will also give a good indication that the system is still functional and can boot. Let me know how it goes.

You can create the Seatools disc on any fully functional PC with a CD burner.

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence Bios Boot Order Guide. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online