1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD - Dell Inspiron 6000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MeehMya, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeehMya

MeehMya Thread Starter

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop.

She recently recruited me to help her figure out why she's coming up with the following method:

Unmountable Boot Volume
    0x000000ED (0x81334868, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

i tried to dskchk /r.... it gets 39% done and tells me there are unrecoverable files
    i tried to dskchk /p.... i get the same response

i didn't know if fixboot would erase some of the hard drive, which i'm not trying to do because i want her to have a chance of recovering some of the information off the hard drive. i was reading about cables and slaving the drive to another hard drive, but i don't know how to do that with a laptop or if that's even possible.

i'm still learning the ins-and-outs of my computer and whatnot. i'd hate to test my skills, or knowledge on someone elses stuff, you know?

are there any other suggestions for fixing my problem?
    please let me know. thx:confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It means that the files or file system is badly damaged.

If CHKDSK does not repair the file structure, as indicated, then a fulll destructive reformat and reinstall would probably be needed.

But it could also indicate that the HDD itself has issues.

3. The Hound

The Hound

There is such a cable as you mentioned-one example is here....==about 20 bucks plus shipping.

It might give you a chance to recover some data before formatting (if the drive isn't already toast)...

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This would also be a useful time to explain to your friend that unless she backs up her important data to a CD or DVD regularly, it will always be at risk.

Data that exists only on the HDD is data that you don't care about losing.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Take a look see at this:

STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!