1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD During Games After Installing more RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Knuckles91, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Knuckles91

Knuckles91 Thread Starter

Hey guys, a problem I had a while back has come up again and I can't quite seem to figure it out. I just upgraded from 4GB to 6GB of RAM, now whenever my RAM usage gets high, i get the BSOD, specifically during games that require a lot of RAM such as Skyrim and World of Warcraft. I had this problem before when i had 5GB and memtest showed no errors, but I fixed the problem by removing the 1GB card I had installed, which I thought was the problem because it was mixed with 2GB cards. Now that I've Installed another 2GB the same problem is happening. The new RAM card is the exact same as the others and I've tried it in both free slots in my motherboard, I may exchange it to see if it's faulty but I don't think that's the problem.

System specs

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5QL/EPU
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
    Memory: 6143MB Crucial DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Video Card: GeForce GTS 450
    HD: 400GB SATA

I'd appreciate any help, thanks :)

2. Club69

Club69

You could experiment a little to find the issue.
    1) Remove one of the old RAM's and replace with the new one, so that you will have 4GB. since you didnt have a problem with your old rams try to mix them up to see if the new ram is defected.

if the ram is not defected.

2) update your bios to the latest version (although I dont like bios updates if the computer is working fine) Yours has an issue with higher than 4GB, bios update could fix it.

3) Lower Ram Frequency from bios.

FYI: 2GB rams alongside 1GB rams should not cause any issue's. even if their speed are different. the faster one simply will reduce its speed to match the slower one.

3. Knuckles91

I checked the Asus site, BIOS is up to date. I'm gonna switch the RAM cards now to see if the new one runs with 4GB, but how would lowering the frequency fix it? I don't wanna slow down the memory.

4. Club69

Club69

I suggested to lower the frequency as a test only.
    People who tend to overclock their CPU's sometimes forget to lower the frequency of the ram's.
    Im not sure if you have overclocked or not.

just humor your self and test different things. You could also try removing any other PCI devices installed in the computer.

once i came across a similar issue, and removing the wireless lan card fixed it. Yes i know, it has nothing to do with it. weird things happen sometimes.

Try to set bios setting to default. maybe someone has fiddled in there.

5. Knuckles91

Ah ok thanks for the help, I'll try resetting BIOS to default and no I haven't overclocked at all. Only PCI devices I have are the standard video/sound/network cards.

6. Knuckles91

So after much testing I've determined that all the ram cards are fine, and they work together fine, but I only get the BSOD when I put a card in the 3rd or 4th slots in my motherboard. BIOS is up to date, resetting to defaults did nothing. Last BSOD said

"RT64Win7.sys Address FFFFF8800FD3DC68 base at FFFFF8800FD2C000 Datestamp 49a65b0d"

So i'm officially stumped.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Simba7

Simba7

How many memory cards do you have in your system? In some systems, if you slightly bump the DRAM voltage (one notch), it'll help with stability.

9. Knuckles91

I have 3 2GB mem cards right now, before resetting BIOS to defaults the voltage was at 1.85. Also @ flavallee: I still get BSOD if i just put 2 cards in, it's only if a card is in the 3rd or 4th slots in my mboard.

10. Simba7

Simba7

So, it's running in single channel mode. There's a performance hit right there.

What kind of memory are you running? Also, what is your power supply?

11. Knuckles91

Crucial DDR2 800MHz

12. Simba7

Simba7

I know that.. I need to know the EXACT model of the memory. Crucial makes several types of DDR2 800MHz modules.

13. Knuckles91

Ook what exactly do you need to know? It's 240-PIN, DIMM UNBUFF, PC2-6400CL6

14. Knuckles91

For anyone interested in investigating this, here's my latest minidump and event logs.

Attached Files:

15. Simba7

Simba7

I was more referring to their normal line or their Ballistix line. Also, what is your power supply?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!