1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD even when booting in safe mode (XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dangerous_Dave, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Thread Starter

Hi all

Don't know what found it's way into my PC last night but I was suddenly hit with the BSOD showing the following error:

Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x87AB43B2, 0xF79AD270, 0xF79ACF6C)

Normal reboot results in the same screen and trying to boot up into sfae mode just returns me to the setup (F8) screen. So, I figured on a repair for which I've managed to get hold of an XP disc from my mother of all people.

So far I have, based on what I have found from searching the net, via the Recovery Console on the disc I have:

run chkdsk /r
    followed by a reboot - no change

COPY D:\i386\NTLDR C:\
    COPY D:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    FIXBOOT
    followed by a reboot - no change

FIXMBR (yes to proceed)
    followed by a reboot -- no change

bootcfg /rebuild
    WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
    /Fastdetect

Those procedures sounded pretty safe to me and I don't think I've damaged my PC any further but just in case I have and before I do any more damage I thought I'd best ask for some expert help.

Can anyone help or have I just made the problem worse ???

Thanks

DD

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Having tried the chkdsk and others from the Recovery Console it may be down to this.
    HOWEVER before you go down this route, it WOULD be wise to slave the hard drive, to another machine and back up ALL your personal data etc. It would not go amiss to create a complete image, using one of the many available tools. There are other options to boot the machine and carry out various "repair" functions but they are NOT without risk.
    If the machine would load Safe Mode I would recommend System File checker SFC /scannow, but that cannot be run from the recovery console.

How to Repair XP.
    1.Boot the computer from your Windows XP CD.

2.When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", you Do Not want to load Recovery Console.

3.Accept the Licence Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

4.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

5.Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Note that when you perform a repair of a current installation you will be asked to enter the Product Key that came with the CD. In essence you are installing a fresh copy of XP over the existing copy. While data and settings are not destroyed, any Service Packs will have to be reinstalled after the repair process has completed. Repairing a current installation is not a substitute for reformatting a drive and doing a clean installation. It may help clear up some problems with the current installation, but it will not restore an ailing system to like new condition and performance that a clean installation will provide.​

PLEASE NOTE AS IT IS A DELL YOU WILL REQUIRE THE ORIGINAL DELL XP installation CD for this repair. It will NOT work with the CD you mention

3. Macboatmaster

4. Dangerous_Dave

Firstly Macboatmaster, thanks for getting back to me quickly.

I'll have to see if I can convince somebody at work tomorrow to let me hook up my HD as a slave. I think the last full backup I did was a couple of months ago so I don't think I'll lose much if it all goes belly up. However,

I have no idea where my original installation CD is, I would even suggest that when I bought the PC from Dell I wasn't sent one and it came pre-installed. Fortunately my product key is helpfully typed onto a label stuck on top of my tower. This does however show that originally my PC was installed with XP Home Edition and not Professional as I thought I had - I assume I've upgraded it some time in the last few years. The disc I've borrowed is for XP Professional (and I have the product key for that) so I'm not sure if that's sending me in the wrong direction from the off. I'll try ringing Dell tomorrow to see if I can get them to send me a suitable installation disc.

Also, I've checked on the recovery disc to confirm what I thought when I first read your message - after accepting the licensing agreement in point 3 above I'm not given the option to repair - I have:

To set up Windows on the selected item, press ENTER
    To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
    To delete the selected partition, press D

and then my partitions are:

-: Partition1 (FAT) 47MB
    C: Partition2 (NTFS) 235280MB
    Unpartitioned space 8MB
    F: Partition3 (FAT32) 3075MN
    Unpartitioned space 8MB

I don't know what I expect you to do with this information but I thought it best to let you know what I'm seeing.

Any further advice always welcomed.

Thanks

DD

5. Macboatmaster

I have PM`d you.

If the backup, was a full image you can of course reinstall from that. If it was a backup of My Documents etc, you will of course lose all your programs and those for which you do not have the reinstalltion CD ie: Office etc will be lost.

Have a close read of this, it is an excellent guide on the repair installation. I am not certin but are you looking too early for the option of repair the installation on C drive.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

6. Dangerous_Dave

Hmmm, just checked my external hard drive and it turns out I haven't backed up a full image of this computer, just important things like photos, music, Outlook etc., so if it comes down to a full reinstall it won't be all bad.

Is it too early to consider installing Windows 7 and avoiding the whole recovery saga ???

7. Macboatmaster

8. Dangerous_Dave

Bought myself a SATA HDD docking station and managed to back up all my personal files but am unable to do a full image backup. Good thing too because I almost gave up and bought a new PC but instead I've only spent £30. Plus, at least I can be certain the problem is with the OS now and not the hard drive.

I'm planning to do a factory restore now and go through the pain of installing all the updates before copying my personal files back across - unless anyone has any better ideas...

9. Macboatmaster

The XP start up floppy will not work on a partitioned disc, using the NTLDR from a CD.
    See this, as the way to do it from the Windows System file while you have the hard drive slaved.

http://thpc.info/dual/rescuebootdisk.html

It may not work, but at this stage you have little to lose, before you go to Dell Recovery

10. Dangerous_Dave

I don't have a floppy disc on my PC anyway but to be perfectly honest I think your latest suggestions are going way beyond my comfort zone. Ball aching though it is I can get my head around the factory restore and I think going down that route is actually a good opportunity for me to clean up and clear out some of the crap that I've accumulated since I bought the PC. The important thing is that I've backed up files that I couldn't afford to lose.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

11. Dangerous_Dave

Turns out CTRL-F11 won't provide me with a restore option. Browsing tells me that this is no longer functional because I've done a fixboot. I'm reluctant to start playing about with partitions and the like because I really don't understand any of it. I'm going to have to wait until Monday now before I can phone Dell and ask for replacement discs.

Thanks for your help Macboatmaster and my apologies for not being able to make the most of that help.

DD

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice