1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD :( . Event ID 1001.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Azfar, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

i have had clean install of windows XP SP2 on my new system. it has crashed twice now since the install a couple hours back. a flash of BSOD and then restarted. Event viewer identifies it as event ID 1001 save dump. any idea what does it mean ? what needs to be done ? any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

Here is my hijack this log..if this of any help. Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 12:22:55 AM, on 9/2/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ahmad\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\1.2.183.7\GoogleCrashHandler.exe
    C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ahmad\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ahmad\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drwtsn32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drwtsn32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nView\nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Ahmad\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 3317 bytes

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Looks like Google Chrome is crashing from your scanlog, perhaps during an update -- both Dr. Watson (an applications error logger) and some Google crash handler are in the processes.

I would remove anything Google related from Add/Remove programs and test, then reinstall if no errors during the test period. I would also disable Utorrent from starting using msconfig to do that.

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

4. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

Yes i have got a couple of dump files at that location(c:\windows\minidump). im at office right now. will upload them once i reach home. Thanks for the reply. I just need to be sure if this is not something hardware related.

5. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

I have attached the minidump files. I hope they might be of some help. Thank you.

Attached Files:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The dumpchecks are similar but not identical.

In both cases the 'nominal' faulting driver is "Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe" which is a core system memory manager -- so we really have to look elsewhere as these can be either hardware or software issues.

In both cases the active process was "explorer.exe"

If you run eventvwr.msc and look at the "system" log -- do you see any "disk" errors in the eventlog? They are identified as such. You may want to try running chkdsk on the drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

I've looked at the "trap frames" of the errors and there is little there besides AVG -- which is about the only software that I would suspect here. You might test this out in Safe Mode with Networking support -- or just uninstall AVG for a test period and then install the latest version or try the free version of Avast, which I personally prefer >>

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!