1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD every couple of days and no minidumps get created

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by TQ113, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

Hi,

So I am getting BSOD every couple of days and it's driving me crazy since I'm using my computer for Data Analysis and I have to run code through the night sometimes for days and then it just crashes and sets my work back.

Anyway so the error I would get was unexpected_store_exception so I googled around and followed all the troubleshooting advice and managed to "solve" it however now it's giving me a BSOD every third day or so with the error system_service_exception

I have no idea what to do to solve this, please can somebody help? I've checked my memory and my drive and all the tests say its fine. I've updated all my drivers, uninstalled anti-virus and disabled fast boot. I'm literally at an end here guys.

Here's some more info that might be of help:

(From WMI recoveros)

AutoReboot=FALSE
    Caption=
    DebugFilePath=%SystemRoot%\Minidump
    DebugInfoType=3
    Description=
    ExpandedDebugFilePath=C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
    ExpandedMiniDumpDirectory=C:\Windows\Minidump
    KernelDumpOnly=FALSE
    MiniDumpDirectory=C:\Windows\Minidump
    Name=Microsoft Windows 10 Home|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk1\Partition6
    OverwriteExistingDebugFile=TRUE
    SendAdminAlert=FALSE
    SettingID=
    WriteDebugInfo=TRUE
    WriteToSystemLog=TRUE

AllocatedBaseSize=3072
    Caption=C:\pagefile.sys
    CurrentUsage=0
    Description=C:\pagefile.sys
    InstallDate=20180711101552.342534+120
    Name=C:\pagefile.sys
    PeakUsage=0
    Status=
    TempPageFile=FALSE

I also ran the SysNativeBSODapp and am attaching the zip to this post in hopes it will help the debugging process. I did notice this exception in the AppDump txt file:

Office Subscription licensing exception: Error Code: 0x803D0010; CorrelationId: {53B6BF99-0E23-40D2-807B-33E62369B8D0}

Could this be the cause of my system_service_exception? Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Troubleshooting this is a little difficult for me, as of course, you will be ware, many parts of the logs are in Swedish

2. There is one aspect that I see
    Malwarebytes is installed - is this the premium paid for version providing active protection OR the free version - in other words the scan on demand only, with no real time protection.

3. Re the Office problem
    type or copy and paste this into an admin cmd prompt

cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus

if any information is displayed that appears relevant post cmd prompt response please
    right click top bar click edit - select all
    right click top bar
    click edit - copy
    and paste to reply

4. Go windows
    Mini dumps
    or wherever your dump is - eg
    memory dmp

open the folder right click the latest dump
    hold on send to - compressed file on desktop
    attach to reply please

5. You mention
    so referring back to my point 2
    List please all AVs that are installed - ( know windows defender is as it is part of 10)
    AND that were installed that you have uninstalled.

3. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm sorry about it being in Swedish..If there's anyway I can make it into English let me know and I'll do that.

2. It's Malwarebytes premium i.e. with real time protection.

3. When I run cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus nothing shows up I get a "Indatafel" I guess "Indataerror" in English, telling me that the script file was not able to be located.

4. Here's the big problem, my BSOD are not producing any minidumps, which is making troubleshooting this a pain. When I get the BSOD the progress for the dump file gets stuck on 0% and it just stays at that without changing until I just have to manually reboot my computer.

3. The only anti-virus that is installed at the moment is Malwarebytes. I tried removing it for a while hoping it would solve my BSOD but it still happened even without MWB.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

I'm also wondering if I should update my BIOS? Although Im scared that this might mess up my computer and make everything worse. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. Macboatmaster

1. Re the cmd - I may have the wrong cmd there
    My apologies
    Try this one please see what that results in
    cscript ospp.vbs /?

2. Re dumps please see where dumps are set up
    go control panel system - system protection - advanced - startup and recovery -settings
    and set small memory dump

https://mywindowshub.com/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-create-dump-files-on-bsod/

it should create that without a problem

3. Re the AV`s installed
    4. Which edition of Office is it please

6. Macboatmaster

I would not update the BIOS, I do not think that is the problem
    Re your last - this site is family friendly, please delete the **** after might
    mess up would mean the same

The system does not like Python as you may have seen

7. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

Yeah I might have to try dualbooting and running all my python on Ubuntu. I need Windows though for work I am doing in SPSS. But I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I am basically running python constantly when I'm using my computer so this could very well be causing issues. I don't know tho.

cscript ospp.vbs /? gives me the same error message unfortunately..

2. I changed its from C:\Windows\Minidump to %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
    Hopefully that will produced a dump file next time I get the BSOD.

3. The only AV currently installed is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes (if that counts as an AV)

4. Office 2016 Student edition that I got from my old university.

Sorry about the profanity I made the changes to my previous post. Thanks for the help!

8. Macboatmaster

Sorry about the cmd - it does not work for the edition you have
    I will come back to that one

Re the AV I know you said it is malwarebytes and Defender
    What I am asking is - what have been installed please
    by that I mean have any others been installed as often if they are simply uninstalled using - uninstall a program parts can be left which cause problems

Run please from a admin cmd prompt

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and report the result please

9. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

No other AV have been installed except for those.

Results:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17134.1

Image Version: 10.0.17134.285

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

10. Macboatmaster

Without a dump we are very much working in the dark
    When you solved the store exception crash - what did you do please = it maybe that part of that solution has now caused the system service exception

I think we will try uninstall malwarebytes please use the standard uninstall from settings and the run the malwarebytes clean
    1. Download the latest version of MB-Clean by clicking the link above
    https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean
    1. Close all open applications
    2. Double-click and run mb-clean.exe
      1. A prompt with an option to clean up the system will appear:
      2. Yes - will proceed with backing up the license key (Malwarebytes 3.x only) and initiating the cleanup process
      • No - will exit the utility
      1. Once the cleanup process is completed, a prompt will appear:
      2. Yes – will proceed and post reboot you will be prompted to continue with the downloading, installation and activation of latest version of Malwarebytes 3.x
      • No – will exit the utility and you will not be prompted (post reboot) to download, reinstall and re-activate (not recommended)
        • We recommend rebooting immediately. Additionally, stopping at this step is not recommended and will most likely not resolve your issue(s).
      1. Upon reboot, a prompt will appear:
      2. Yes - will download, install and activate the latest version of Malwarebytes 3.x
      • No - will exit the utility and the cleanup process is complete
    Selecting of course the highlighted options, as at this time the object is to uninstall it and see if it solves the problem

THEN check that Defender is up to date and turned on
    See if you still get crashes please

I know you have said
    but occasionally the incomplete uninstall - NOT using the malwarebytes clean can cause problems

11. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response! I will do these steps the ones you bolded right?

I realize that we are kind of in the dark in this, and I'm sorry for that. Hopefully the next time I get the BSOD it will write and dump file since I noticed that where the dump file was to be saved was set to: %SystemRoot%\Minidump and not %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP so I made this change and hopefully that will resolve it.

I'll get right at it when I get home from work and keep you posted, thanks again!

Edit: I need to think about what exactly I did to resolve the first error. I updated a bunch of drivers ran chkdsk etc. basically everything that they recommend you to do on microsofts page to "solve" that error. And I guess something of what I did worked. I'll try to remember more specifically each step and get back to you when/if I can recall.

12. Macboatmaster

13. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

Edit:
    • The paging file is not on the %systemroot% partition. When the STOP error occurs, the system crash dump is written out to the pagefile on the root of the %systemroot% drive.

I don't quite understand what this means. ^

I think the problem was that I had the path set to C:\%systemroot%\Minidump and not C:\%systemroot%\MEMORY.DMP

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  14. Macboatmaster

The system root is in your case the windows
    It was not that the path was set minidump
    The difference between Minidump and memory dmp is the size of the dump file and the info it contains
    If you set small memory dump then the folder minidump is created in windows and the dump file is recorded there
    Untitled.png

although that is on 7, to save me changing to my Windows 10 the principle is the same
    I will wait to hear from you after the malwarebytes uninstall

This
    means that the paging file, is used to write the dump and if the paging file is not on the system root of C then as the page file is not on the system root it cannot write it

15. TQ113

TQ113 Thread Starter

Ok I've uninstalled MWB now following your instructions.

Also I think I've located the paging file. Am I correct that it's under virtual memory settings? If so my C: drive is listed there but it's greyed out and next to it, it says NONE. Should I change this?

Thanks!

pagefile.png

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice