1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD Flashes for split second, then boot loop 'sorry for the inconvenience'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kie43132, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you very much for reading this.

Basically, my friend gives me his laptop in full working order, but very noisy. By proccess of elimination i figured the fan was on its last legs and therefore replaced it. The problem is resolved no more noisy laptop.

Now however when i try to boot it i get the 5 options (none of which are any different) and then im in a boot loop, with a very brief BSOD.

I have tried putting a Windows XP disk in to install a fresh copy, but it wont pick it up in the boot sequence, i have tried to change the order and so in bios, all that changed was it gave me a option to network boot.

Thanks again for any help, i hope i can fix this

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Have you tried booting into Safe mode?

As there has been a sudden change after dismantling the PC to change the fan it would seem likely that you dislodged a connection inside the machine, or you have not reseated something, RAM in particular, make sure the Ram modules are pushed all the way in to the slot.

When you get into the Bios boot order what is it showing, does it list the CD drive in first place and also show it is detecting the hard drive?

Did you earth you hands before touching anything inside the machine?

Is the XP disc a burned or genuine copy?
    Does the XP disc boot ok in another PC?

3. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

I have it just reboots in the loop.

The RAM is not near to the fan, although going on this theory myself, i took each stick out 1 by 1 and tried it with 1 stick and it was the same on all tests.

All that i unscrewed when inside the machine was the heatsink+fan and im sure they are back on correctly, although when i was testing, i had not screwed the heatsink back on at first and it cut out..... you think i may have shorted something? Yes i was earthed.

I'm at work at the moment, but i think the order i put them in was;

Floppy
    CD
    HDD
    Network Drive.

It is a genuine copy of windows, yes it does, i installed a fresh copy on my PC only 2 weeks ago.

Thanks very much for the reply.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

If you ran the PC without the heatsink properly connected you may have fried the CPU.

In order to boot from the XP disc on start up you need to have the CD drive in 1st position in the boot order.

5. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

Ahhhh great.

I Didnt think it would start at all without a functional CPU?

I have tried that too it is not reading it at all, i havent taken into account the CD drive may be faulty? i have no reason to believe this but i wouldnt be surprised.

The heatsink was in place just not screwed in properly.

I am really worried about this now i cant afford to replace the CPU.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, hopefully the cut out you had when the heatsink was not properly secured was the CPU thermal cut out protecting itself from overheating, in which case it should still be ok.

As you know the XP disc boots in other PC's then you first need to sort out the CD drive on the faulty machine.

I suspect that when the PC cut out it has caused data corruption on the hard drive so you need to get the XP disc to boot in order to use the Recovery Console to do some repairs.

One quick test you could try is to remove the hard drive, boot the PC and tell me exactly what appears on screen, page by page.

Do you have the facility to connect the hard drive to another PC, a laptop with a spare hard drive bay would do it or you can get a USB Hard Drive Adapter (about €10) so you can connect it to any PC. You can then find the minidump that should have been saved from the BSOD and post it here as an attachement, it needs to be zipped first. That might give us a clue to work on. You will find the minidumps in C:\Windows\minidump the files we need have a .dmp extension.

Could you also give me the make and model of the machine. If it is a Dell also find the Service Tag number.

7. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

It is a sony Vaio PCG-9G3M.

I can put it in my PC, as long as my IDE Cables fit, when i get home i will try taking the HDD out and booting.

I will try all of these things and post them all as soon as i do it.

Thanks again.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

9. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

Ok So now its changed its mind, there is no bsod.

It is saying 'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:system32/drivers/ntfs.sys

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

That error would suggest some corruption has taken place on the hard drive. You need to get the CD drive to work so you can boot from the Windows disc to get to the Command Prompt. At the Command Prompt you have to type chkdsk /f which should repair the corruption and if that fails you then have to use the command sfc /scannow.

Is it still not able to boot into "Safe mode with Command prompt" as you can run the same commands from there.

Your only other options are to use a USB CD drive or to use a USB Hard Drive Adapter with a CD drive removed from a desktop PC.

11. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

It's not picking up my external hdd.

Could I maybe do a network boot from my pc?

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Do you need it to pick up the external drive at present? I can't see that that will help to solve the main problem.

There are ways to boot from a network but from what I have just read about it, it is fairly complex to set up. Either way it is the XP disc that you need to boot from in order to repair the suspected errors on the internal hard drive.

Unless you can do what I suggested in my last post we are stuck in a rut. You need to be able to boot from the XP disc by whatever method suits before you can make any progress.

The only other option is to transfer the XP disc to a USB flash drive: http://komku.blogspot.com/2009/09/wintoflash-guide-install-windows-xp.html

Be aware that doing a Clean install will wipe everything off the hard drive.

If you get this to work from a Flash Drive you will then be able to select the Repair option during the setup process and get to the Recovery Console.

Another thing I should have mentioned earlier. Is your XP disc the same as the XP version on the laptop? If it is a different version the licence key that should be on a sticker on the laptop will not work, so a clean install will be a waste of time as it will not validate.

Also, if the disc is different the sfc /scannow will run from the recovery console but if it needs to copy files from the CD you are likely to receive an error. For this to work the CD used has to be the same version of XP that is installed on the laptop and have the same Service Pack level.

Does the laptop have a Recovery Partition, or does the owner of it have the matching XP disc or Recovery discs?

13. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply i have been very busy at work.
    I have a IDE to USB adapter on the way, what exactly do i have to do again?

Am i connecting it to another computer and formatting it, then installing a fresh windows install?

Thanks.

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

The first thing you should do is to try and save all the important data off the hard drive, if there is any that the owner wishes to keep.

Then look for C:\Windows\minidump and see if there are any files in that folder with a .dmp extension. If you find some then attach them to your next post following this guide:

If you have been able to access the hard drive with it linked to another PC then I would suggest running a test to make sure the hard drive is healthy. In the following guide download the diagnostics version for Windows, not as the guide suggests the one for CD, you can then run the diagnostics on the drive from within windows.

Please tell me what version of Windows XP is on the faulty machine including the Service Pack level and what version of Windows and Service Pack level is running on the PC you are connecting it to. Also what version of XP and Service Pack level is on the CD you have.

If you get access to the hard drive look to see if it has a Recovery partition.

With reference to post 7:
    You never did tell me what happened.

15. kie43132

kie43132 Thread Starter

Sorry about the long delay, when booting without hdd it just restarted.

The adapter arrived, i connected it to my pc, and it caused a few problems by crashing explorer, i got into admin tools storage device manager and so on, i formatted it (it showed as two different drives which i thought was weird) Vaio (g:) and I:. I formatted both anyway.

When connected to laptop i got error message ntldr is missing press ctr+alt+del to restart?

I am totally stumped again.

Many Thanks in advance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice