BSOD for windows 10 while gaming

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kinang

Hi,

I've been getting BSOD for weeks, I googled for fixes but the issues haven't solved. Also at times the PC goes black and restarts. I notice this while I'm gaming mostly, some times there wont be a problem for hours other times it happens more often. I have updated my fresh windows and also bought Drivereasy which checks if any drivers that are not up to date. I need help!!!

This is the most recent dumpfile from an app called BlueScreenView :

112421-12265-01.dmp 11/24/2021 5:16:06 PM KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e ffffffff`80000004 fffff802`02ffadd1 00000000`00000000 0000ffff`f8021de8 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+3f72a0 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+3f72a0 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\112421-12265-01.dmp 8 15 19041 1,038,508 11/24/2021 5:17:13 PM​

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19044, Installed 20211117152848.000000+330
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (140 GB Free); K: 476 GB (287 GB Free);
Motherboard: Intel Corporation DB85FL, ver AAG89861-203, s/n BQFL442002EK
System: Intel Corp., ver INTEL - 83
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

crjdriver

One BIG problem you have is the fact you have an intel motherboard. Intel stopped ALL support ie drivers, etc for their motherboards. Because of this fact win10 is not a supported operating system. While this may or may not be the cause of your problem, it does make troubleshooting more difficult.

Have you tested temps and voltages? If not, do so. You can probably use the intel utility for testing;
Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)
Note these utilities are often overclocking utilities as well. Do not make any changes; just use the monitoring part of the program. Check your temps twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. The utility should have a stress test as part of the program. If not, use something like prime95 for the stress test.
Post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post screenshots of the intel utility showing this info.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The fact that you're using a third-party driver scanner and installer (Driver Easy) may also be contributing your BSOD issue.

crjdriver is one of the hardware diagnostic experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

-------------------------------------------------

Kinang

The fact that you're using a third-party driver scanner and installer (Driver Easy) may also be contributing your BSOD issue.

crjdriver is one of the hardware diagnostic experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

-------------------------------------------------
what do you suggest I use if not driver easy?

Kinang

One BIG problem you have is the fact you have an intel motherboard. Intel stopped ALL support ie drivers, etc for their motherboards. Because of this fact win10 is not a supported operating system. While this may or may not be the cause of your problem, it does make troubleshooting more difficult.

Have you tested temps and voltages? If not, do so. You can probably use the intel utility for testing;
Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)
Note these utilities are often overclocking utilities as well. Do not make any changes; just use the monitoring part of the program. Check your temps twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. The utility should have a stress test as part of the program. If not, use something like prime95 for the stress test.
Post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post screenshots of the intel utility showing this info.
If intel is indeed the problem, what can I do in such a situation. I'll do the Testing as you suggested and send screenshots. Thank you for the prompt replies.

crjdriver

what do you suggest I use if not driver easy?
There are no drivers for your motherboard. As for other hardware ie video card or a real sound card, etc, you go to the support page for that device and download the driver from the mfg only. Using a third party driver program is just asking for a problem.

crjdriver

If intel is indeed the problem, what can I do in such a situation. I'll do the Testing as you suggested and send screenshots. Thank you for the prompt replies.
Do the testing and find out if you have an overheating and or pw supply problem. Once those have been ruled out, then we can address other issues.

Kinang

Do the testing and find out if you have an overheating and or pw supply problem. Once those have been ruled out, then we can address other issues.
I Downloaded Intel Utility for testing and used prime 95 for testing, attaching screenshot of The test
1. When running multiple YouTube video tabs.
2. Using prime 95.

I would like to mention that as soon we started the Prime Test (screenshot) the computer went black and restarted.
I'm still getting BSOD. The dumpfile remains the same as mentioned in the thread.
Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (7).pngScreenshot (7).png

crjdriver

It looks like you took the screenshot right as you started prime95 and the temp was already @77C. The first thing I would do would be to make sure the system is clean ie no dust build up, cpu cooler is clean, wires and cables tied up so as to facilitate good airflow. Be sure you have at least one 120mm or larger exhaust fan.
If the above does not bring down your temp, then pull the cooler and replace the thermal compound. Be sure you clean ALL parts with 91% or 99% alcohol then apply new compound IAW [in accordance with] the thermal compound mfg's directions.

Note for an intel type cooler, I always recommend pulling the motherboard out of the case. This is for two reasons;
1 With the board out of the case, you can inspect all four push-pins to be sure they are fully seated
2 Attempting to install the cooler with the board in the case requires you to push quite hard on the pins. I am somewhat fearful of breaking a solder trace and or cracking the board

AMDs can be done in the case without issues however intels can be somewhat difficult to do in the case. Up to you.

Kinang

Y
It looks like you took the screenshot right as you started prime95 and the temp was already @77C. The first thing I would do would be to make sure the system is clean ie no dust build up, cpu cooler is clean, wires and cables tied up so as to facilitate good airflow. Be sure you have at least one 120mm or larger exhaust fan.
If the above does not bring down your temp, then pull the cooler and replace the thermal compound. Be sure you clean ALL parts with 91% or 99% alcohol then apply new compound IAW [in accordance with] the thermal compound mfg's directions.

Note for an intel type cooler, I always recommend pulling the motherboard out of the case. This is for two reasons;
1 With the board out of the case, you can inspect all four push-pins to be sure they are fully seated
2 Attempting to install the cooler with the board in the case requires you to push quite hard on the pins. I am somewhat fearful of breaking a solder trace and or cracking the board

AMDs can be done in the case without issues however intels can be somewhat difficult to do in the case. Up to you.
Yes, you are right. Took the screenshot within 1-2mins of starting Prime 95. And as mentioned above the screen went black and the system restarted within 2-3 mins of starting prime 95. Does that mean that the black screen issue is due to the temp? And also can that cause BSOD as well.

I will be doing the cleaning etc. as you suggested and get back with that too

crjdriver

Yes, overheating can cause either or both of those issues. Get the system cleaned and [if necessary] replace the thermal compound.

Kinang

Yes, overheating can cause either or both of those issues. Get the system cleaned and [if necessary] replace the thermal compound.
The Thermal compound was replaced recently, about a month back. The issues have been ongoing even after that. DO you suggest I re-apply the thermal compound?

crjdriver

If it was done correctly, then you have other problems ie case airflow, high ambient temps, etc. If you are not sure OR if the motherboard was not removed from the case, I would go ahead and replace the compound. Up to you.

Kinang

Hi,

I have ordered for a new PSU and 2 rams, we are planning to reapply the thermal compound and also check the alignment and everything once all the components get here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online