1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD, Hardware failing?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Eoughu, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eoughu

Eoughu Thread Starter

I run Win7 x64 on an Asus M4A89GTD-Pro with an AMD Phenom II X4 955. Recently I've been having problems with random crashes and BSODs.

I haven't done any driver updating, software updating, etc. At first I thought it might be my RAM going bad. I ran Memtest86+ on each stick of RAM and I received over 2 million errors. I tried the test with the module in different slots and still had several problems. But, I tried some memory from another computer of mine and I still get crashes and the BSOD.

When I'm in Windows the crashes seem fairly random. I can maybe play a game for 20mins and then I get a BSD. I may just get into Windows and I receive a BSOD. Right now my computer is hanging at the first initial screen showing my motherboard information when I boot up. Most of the time I can't even get into Windows without my computer having problems, so now I'm suspecting it may be my motherboard.

The only thing I can point to is that I recently had to remove one of my Crossfired GPUs from my machine to use in another computer temporarily. I had no problems with my computer while it was out, but as soon as I had it back in the problems started. However, I have removed the card and have tried messing with my computer and I have the same problems.

I've tried resetting my motherboard to factory defaults and that hasn't helped.

Does anyone else have a suggestion I may try? Or if anyone needs more info, just ask and I'll give it to you.

Thanks for reading!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check to see that both GPUs are inserted fully in their slots.

Try reinstalling the graphics drivers.

3. Eoughu

Eoughu Thread Starter

The GPUs are both in secure and reinstalling the drivers didn't help.

4. Eoughu

Eoughu Thread Starter

Am I right in thinking that this is a hardware problem and not a software problem? 90% of the time I can't even get into Windows without my computer crashing and restarting.

In most of the BSODs I get while in Windows, it is usually a problem with Atikmdag.sys, which from my reading, can be caused by just about anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice