1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD Hell

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mike6561, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike6561

mike6561 Thread Starter

It's my first time here so hello everyone :)

I wonder if people can help me. I am tearing my hair out and have absolutely no idea where to turn next.

I bought the following computer with specs just two weeks ago...

Computer Model is:

Advent Centurion CPQ9104

Specs Are:

Processor AMD Phenom™ X4 9650 Processor
    - 2.3 GHz
    - 1.8 GHz HT (3600 MT/s)
    - 4 x 512 KB L2 Cache

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM 4GB

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics - 512MB memory

Hard drive 640GB SATA 7200rpm

Optical disk drive DVD Rewriter

Modem/Ethernet 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port

Video interface HDMI, DVI, VGA

TV output HDMI, DVI, VGA

Sound Realtek® ALC662 5.1 channel HD audio

I wouldn't say that I have been hugely impressed with it but it's whizzy enough. I got a couple of Blue Screens of death but they passed quickly and I put it down to "settling in pains", these things happen.

On sunday however, just as I clicked the send button on an email the screen when black, it paused and then a blue screen of death:eek:...I have not been able to get past the BSOD ever since. I can't get safe mode, I can't use the recovery disc we're all encouraged to make. I can't even use the "complete system restore" discs I made on day one.

I start the machine normally and as soon as the Windows Logo is "about to play" the BSOD kicks in.

When trying to start the machine with disc or safe mode it only gets so far before the BSOD.

The BSOD has given so many different messages I don't know what to make of it. If it would help I could write some down and post here.

I am confident I do not have any viruses. A routine sweep on Saturday came up clean and I am computer savy enough to avoid them anyway.

If anyone has any advice, or could just help me get to safe mode I feel sure I could solve the rest. My abilities are with software not hardware.

Cheers.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are having problems in a Safe Mode boot the problem is likely hardware.

Have you tested the ram? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

If you cannot boot in Normal or Safe Mode, you will have to use the Advanced Boot Options menu. You might want to try a System Restore or Startup Repair from there as well.

Alternately you can create a bootable memory tester that runs completely outside of Windows (memtest86, see below)

You can also try physically removing all but one ram module, and swap those for individual module tests.

If you can get into Windows to upload the minidumps, they may be helpful >>

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

On Vista and Win7 you can run mdsched.exe -- once rebooted to the scanner press F1 for Advanced options and run the "extended" tests.

Another, some think better, program that can be used on all operating systems is memtest86

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

=====================================

3. mike6561

mike6561 Thread Starter

Many thanx for taking the time to reply Rollin.

I have decided that as the machine is only 2 weeks out of the box then it is perhaps best to admit defeat on this battle and send the thing back before I accidently negate any rights of return I have.

I have much computer experience which I can definitely share on this site so will be back very soon.

Thanx again :)

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I think that returning the system for Warranty Refund or Replacement would be the choice I would choose, especially if it is being returned to a local place of purchase.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice