1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved BSOD - Locale 3081 BCCode 51 - partly resolved

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozegirl, Jun 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8136 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (261 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B75M-D3H
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

This morning my computer did not start up correctly. Rather than go directly to the desktop as it normally does, I had to click on the icon for my username, then it went to the desktop. However as soon as all the icons had loaded and internet connectivity was established and programs started to load, I got the BSOD which says Windows is shutting down to protect itself from a critical error. It then restarts and given the option to boot into safe mode, that works and there is no problem. However booting normally the same thing happens over and over.

An error message comes up (in safe mode when I go into msconfig) which I will copy here:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 51
    BCP1: 0000000000000001
    BCP2: FFFFF8A000024010
    BCP3: 0000000001CC3000
    BCP4: 0000000000000374
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\060619-21372-01.dmp
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-48126-0.sysdata.xml

Since I have done this a number of times there are a number of minidump files, I have attached them in a zip format. I can't seem to upload the sysdate file - it must not be a supported file type, however I have done the sysinfo asked for by TSG.

Things I have done:

I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode and it found nothing (wasn't expecting it to, but just to eliminate the possibility)

I used msconfig to do a selective startup eliminating all start up programs but leaving the services as they were. Still restarts.

I then hid all Microsoft services, and unchecked all the 3rd party services. Still restarts.

I then decided to block out (as well as 3rd party) the first dozen or so of Microsoft services. I thought rather than go one at a time which would take forever, to do it block by block until I found something and then narrow it down.

I had success with the first lot I blocked. The computer restarted as normally and stayed on.

I then used services.msc and msconfig as follows:

Of the services which had been disabled, I re-enabled about 3 at a time. I then started the service. If starting the service didn't bluescreen the computer, I then set these to auto and ticked these in msconfig and restarted. If this worked, I kept going in the same way... I thought this would lead me eventually to the offending service or services.

I now have almost everything ticked and the computer has restarted fine.

I work from home and this put me way behind so I then got into my work for the day.

Since I now have a little time, I have posted here just to seek some encouragement/further advice....

I'm wondering if it is in fact a driver or a specific driver or service.... or whether it might be the power supply (it is a very old computer after all) ..or the hard drive starting to fail....

I wonder whether if after loading a certain service if it fails again...does that necessarily mean it's that service..or maybe it's just the extra strain on system resource that has broken the camel's back... easy enough to test by unchecking that service and trying another one I guess..

Yes I know I should get a new computer... and I have been planning to, but in the meantime I need this one to work until I get a new one up & running ...

So a few questions....

Is there a way to test if the power supply is on the way out?

Is there a way of telling from the attached error codes and dump logs what the culprit might be? I can't read the error log...it's a bit jibberish to me.

Is there anything else that would be helpful e.g. logs from event viewer...?? Please instruct

Since I am now working, I will have to wait until the end of the day to run more tests, but I will be interested to try a normal startup again.... now that I have restarted the computer a few times without the BSOD shutdown...sometimes that is enough to make windows happy again after a forced shutdown.

I took a screen shot of the services that I have selected so that I can keep track of what has been unticked....all the Intel services are unticked as I believe they can be troublesome, and also the Nvidia services. Note though that my display adapter is still enabled and I am running it, not the default monitor as per in safe mode...

Also just to re-iterate...the computer successfully boots all the way to the desktop without trouble - it's only after a minute or so it then blue-screens. And in safe mode it is OK - so my first thought was not the power...but then in safe mode it uses a lot less resources...

One advantage I have now is that because I am running fewer services the computer is more efficient...so maybe I should be pleased! However I am irked by knowing that there is something wrong and concerned that it might be a forewarning of something much worse to come.

Any thoughts or suggestions really appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

There is a utility called WhoCrashed which can read the dump files and give an English explanation of what might be the problem.

What services remain to be checked. You said the Intel and Nvidia services are currently disabled. What else?

Find the latest version of Intel and Nvidia drivers and motherboard chipset drivers from the web site.

It could also be a one time thing, once the services start properly, then everything behaves from then onwards.

I don't think there is a reliable way to test a power supply, putting it into a different system uses a different amount of power. So the second system may power up, but doesn't mean that the power supply is free from defects. The only sure way is to take it to a shop which has a meter.

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks so much.

Since last posting, I have in fact ticked a few more services and successfully restarted. This included the Intel and NVidia ones. On starting I was notified of a Java update, but when I went and tried, it failed on the download. I know Java can cause issues and I can live without it, at least for the time being, so I uninstalled it...will worry about that if and when I need it again.

So now the only services not ticked are:
    Application experience (not worried about that)
    Computer Browser ( home network still works find without it)
    Bluetooth support service (not needing bluetooth on a desktop)
    2 x Google Update service (both gupdate and gupdatem)
    Malwarebytes service (only had it to run the test earlier)
    Optus 4G modem HL (not using at the moment)
    Teamviewer 13 (don't use this anymore)
    VNC server (don't use this any more)

So I don't know whether any of those would have caused such an issue.
    I have still got most of the start up programs unchecked though. I didn't think they were to blame because it happened when I unchecked those & just ran services. So unless it was just a case of too many things at once....

I now have MS security starting up auto which I didn't before and it is all good. there is one other online syncing/backup program I use which I am yet to trial on auto start up - it is ok when I start the computer and then manually start it, so hoping it will still be Ok on selective startup.

Maybe it was a case of a bad driver or registry read - which after going into safe mode and doing a selective startup which was stable, enabled me to shut down without the blue screen - and maybe that was enough to make it happy again.

I ran the Whocrashed and this was the result:

On Thu 6/06/2019 6:21:35 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060619-24757-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x93AA0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x51 (0x1, 0xFFFFF8A000024010, 0x1CC3000, 0x374)
    Error: REGISTRY_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe registry error has occurred.
    This bug check indicates there is a problem related to your registry.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I guess it's a bit of a serious fault. I also expect it's not something that can easily be tracked down. It seems to be something to do with memory possibly.

I could try updating the Intel and Nvidia drivers but I always loathe to update those particular drivers as sometimes updates cause more problems than they fix....of course in the end that may be the fix... but for now I think I will cross my fingers that it keeps working.....I think that I should probably priortise getting a new computer because this may just be a warning of worse to come..... Not a quick fix because I will want it custom built and then there are so many things to install etc....so hopefully I can keep this one going in the meantime.

Still interested to hear if the info above gives any better insight into what is going on...just so if I run into more problems I have already documented what has happened so far....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  4. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Further to my response above, I looked at the Virtual memory and this is what it shows - along with some sysinfo (I have deleted personal information). I see that although it is set to automatically manage, that the amount set is quite less than that recommended. On the Performance options tab, I have only 3 things ticked for Visual effects. on the advanced tab I have it set for Programs. I did have a custom size set for VM before which is perhaps why the paging size is listed the way it is...but I presume that if it is now on auto (and has been for some time, well before this trouble began).... that windows should automatically assign the correct amount??

Attached Files:

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The Windows debugging program is showing the same error - Registry_Error.
    PHP:
    REGISTRY_ERROR (51)
    Something has gone badly wrong with the registry.  If a kernel debugger
    is available
    get a stack traceIt can also indicate that the registry got
    an I
    /O error while trying to read one of its filesso it can be caused by
    hardware problems 
    or filesystem corruption.
    Arg40000000000000374depends on where Windows bugcheckedmay be return code of
        HvCheckHive 
    if the hive is corrupt.
    ----------------
    You will need to make sure the correct Services are set to run at startup and hopefully reset the registry.
    Download Windows Repair (All In One)
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html
    Once the program opens
    Click Repair Main in the top toolbar.
    Then click Open Repairs
    It will automatically back up the Windows registry.
    The registry back up will be saved to Local Disk [C:] RegBackup.

Untick all entries and put a check mark in the following.
    01 - Reset Registry Permissions
    02 - Reset File Permissions
    03 - Reset Service Permissions
    25 - Restore important Windows Services.
    28 - Set Windows Services to Default Startup

Click on Start Repairs.
    When done - restart your pc. Let us know if that helps.

6. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks for this. My current priority is to get a new computer, actually 2 - one for my husband as well. At the moment, I can start up my computer OK and I have been working on it all day. I do have some start up services/programs unchecked but I can live with that for now. I'm reluctant to try the Major Geek repair for now as I see it resets a lot of things - and we have a bit of a customised set up here with a network and even remote connection to another computer via online syncing program. This is for business so I can't afford to experiment with something that might cause other issues. That is not to say I am not grateful for your help - I am VERY appreciative of you taking an interest and helping. However, I will delay doing as you suggested till I get the new computers up & running (might take a week or two)...and then perhaps I will give it a try to see what happens.

Where did you get the debugging information from? It is similar to what was in the dump log...is this just from googling the error or did you somehow get it from one of the logs?

I have something else going on which may or may not be related. Starting about 4-5 days ago, I noticed that Word, Excel and Access didn't always close when the application window was closed - I found out because I back up emails at the end of the day and it wouldn't allow me saying something was stopping the file from being backed up....usually this means I have forgotten to close Outlook before doing it, but Outlook was closed and in Task manager it was closed - only either Word or Access or Excel would be still running.....and sometimes 3 or 4 instances of Word, with quite a high usage..... the weird thing about this is that I have more than one email account in Outlook and it only happened with one of the accounts - the other one copied fine.....

I checked and in the offending email account all add-ins were disabled, except one which was not running but set to run when needed.... I am yet to check for add-ins in Word, Excel, Access....mostly it seems to happen with Word... anyway the upshot of this is that in order to do my backup I had to End process on Word in TaskMan.... I then re-opened word and closed it again watching in TaskMan and it closed properly...but each day for the past few days it has happened that there is an instance open.... we do have network access to each other's files, but Word was closed on both computers.... Mostly it closes but at some stage it seems to have a case of getting stuck....I don't like using End Task but that's what I did...when it was stuck I also I tried opening another word doc, and closing, but this just added another instance to Taskman....

Then yesterday the same thing started happening on my husband's computer and it happened again today. Rather than End task, I closed the computer down and restarted...and then was able to do the email backup. I don't know whether that's a less forceful way of closing the running app, but I got a message saying windows was waiting for a program to close, but I waited it out and it closed it of it's own accord..so probably better than a forced end task....

It seems too much of a coincidence that this has happened on both our computers.... there was an office update a little while ago but I can't seem to find anyone complaining about issues after it being installed.... I just wondered at first if it was faulty memory on my computer...but to happen at the same time on both??
    Haven't made any changes to settings for any of the office applications.....

Do you think this has got anything to do with it? I checked and it reports that office is up-to-date...

7. blues_harp28

You have a lot of problems going on here and more added, every time you post. ;)
    I would run System File Checker.
    It will just check system files but will not change any settings that have been set for certain programs and applications.

Click on Start - Search - Type cmd
    Right click on cmd.exe - select Run as Administrator.
    At the Command Prompt window - Type
    sfc /scannow
    Press Enter.
    Let it run to completion - but do not close the cmd window.
    To save the log file.
    Copy and Paste the following in Command Prompt.
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop
    \sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter.

On your desktop you will see a text file called sfcdetails.txt
    It can take 2-3 runs of system file checker for all files to be replaced/repaired.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista
    ======
    WinDbg is a debugger program distributed by Microsoft.
    You have to install it on your pc - download the correct debugging symbol files and use the minidump files saved by Windows, to check for blue screens on your own and other pc's.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinDbg

8. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks again - yes I had thought of running system file checker...and the problems aren't new ones, just that I didn't put everything in the first post - trying not to over-complicate things as I'm not sure that the Office issue has anything to so with the BSOD.....anyway for now I will be off to the local shop tomorrow - we've had these computers for probably over 10 years so I have no qualms about updating other than the time and effort involved - fortunately cost is not such an issue being for business use....and we have been talking about upgrading all year as the computers are getting a bit slow especially as the demands on them are increasing all the time.....I'll have to run these diagnostics later when time permits.....as the computer is actually working I need to get more urgent things done.....but thank you again for all your kind help - and it won't go to waste as I will try it out once I get things sorted - the old computers will still be useful so I will check them over later on...thanks! :)

9. blues_harp28

Thanks for the update. Let us know if you manage to improve things, in the days to come.

10. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I ran sys file checker & everything was OK so I've left it at that. Gone through & deleted as much stuff as I can from start up programs, services taken off auto that aren't needed etc just to reduce the strain on the system. So far so good, but I'm getting a new computer all the same as a pre-emptive strike because I think this was a timely warning that it was time to move on.

11. blues_harp28

As we know, nothing lasts forever. Thanks for the update.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice