1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD - multiplayer game freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Valerio111, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valerio111

Valerio111 Thread Starter

Hello,

I've had problems for months playing a game in multiplayer. the game is Mass Effect 3. the same game (mass effect 3) in single player doesn't seem to cause problems.

What randomly happens:
    - screen freeze, need to manually push off button.
    - screen freeze + buzzing sound, need to manually push off button.
    - screen freeze + bsod few second after

I have NVDIA drivers, they are updated. but anyway i've been trying different versions without luck. even clean installs etc.
    I have tried a different modem, no changes

I have included some of the minidump files, I don't understand them. I see errors related to nvlddmkm.sys and / or ntoskrnl.exe

I don't know what to do, It only seems to happen with this game but I don't usually play much. I have played diablo3 and never crashed, skyrim for a few hours (no problem).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8173 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580, 1536 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 12142 MB; E: Total - 1430793 MB, Free - 150808 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67-M PRO
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. Mafia2020

Mafia2020

Did you check your computer for viruses and/or malware?
    Yours seems a very weird problem considered it involves a file related to Nvidia drivers along with another one related to the kernel. I had a similar BSOD problem but in my case it was related to the same Nvidia file plus something regarding the current direct-X.

Also, it could help if you post a hijackthis log, you can find it here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/it/download_hijackthis/

3. Valerio111

Attached Files:

4. Mafia2020

Mafia2020

Hijackthis is used, if memory serves, to check for adware/spyware presence and in general the system status.

5. Valerio111

yesterday I tried to switch all the RAM modules and see if I get the same BSOD playing

I did. it changed nothing

6. Valerio111

I have some news. I uninstalled and installed the game again in another HD and nothing changed. I got 1 BSOD

this time I clearly noticed that a few minutes before the BSOD the PC freezed for 1 second and then went back to normality. it happened twice. the third time the freeze was longer and it ended in a blue screen

7. Mafia2020

Mafia2020

Did you solve your issue at all? If you did, please post how you did it. If you didn't, I am sorry I couldn't be of any more help..

8. Valerio111

hello, I haven't solved them.

recent updates:

- I changed graphic card, still BSOD
    - I removed 2 RAM modules and run memtest86 for 33 hours. (no errors). STILL BSOD

next thing: i'm going to change psu and see what happens

9. Valerio111

I have tested with another PSU, this is the result matrix:

750w + GTX580 = BSOD
    750w + 8800GTS = BSOD
    400w + 8800GTS = OK
    400w + GTX580 = can't test

It looks like the 750w psu is the culprit. using the old psu doesn't result in any BSOD.

I would send the 750w in RMA and ask for a replacement. is it possible, tho, that the 750w is working and the problem only occurs with some other hardware (mb maybe?) + 750w + gtx580?

thanks

10. Valerio111

this topic doesn't seem to raise much interest :)

I'd just like to know if any of you agrees that the problem is most probably caused by my PSU. thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice