Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD on a new build.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nichtsicher 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Ive just built a pc and I keep getting bsod's I was wondering if I could get any answers as to why its doing this and if it was my fault do to a mistake in putting it all together, so i still get warenty. I did follow the instructions very very carefully and read numerous guides before doing the build. Its at a pc shop now because I couldnt work out how to fix it but the shop is incredibly slow so I thought id ask here in the mean time.

So far to try and fix the issue ive ran 2 mem tests for 10 hours each which have retuned no errors. Formatted and re installed windows about 3 times, ive installed different versions of windows off different cd's just to see if it was my windows cd's. Ive opened it up and checked all connections and looked on the motherboard for any obvious damages. I also upped the voltages to the ram from 1.8 to 1.9v. All tempatures are fine aswell. I also updated the BIOS

Also in a rather curious twist when I installed my tv card and tried to load the app bundled with it to use it it returns the error 'fail to build, direct x required' but when i used the same cd and card in a different machine it works fine. Formatting and re-installing windows didnt work

I have an error code from the memory dump
Stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x805dd987, 0xb5eedbb8, 0x00000000)
also it says the problem or error was caused by wink32.sys
I also noticed that the processes that have caused the crash have been different once it was messenger the other time firefox etc

Sorry for not having the full details of the dump but its at the shop atm

here are the specs of my PC

cpu: Intel Core 2 Extreme qx9650 3.0ghz fsb 1333 12mb l2 cache
mobo: Asus Striker II Formula n780i SLI 3PCIe
Ram: 4gb Corsair twin2x4096-6400c5
HDD: 500gb seagate 32m ST3500320AS
GPU: ESS GF 8400Gs 256mb DDR2
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850w

thanks guys

See less See more
#4 ·
This Microsoft bulletin may be of interest: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834450/en-us
Also, you have already identified a possible issue with your TV card so I would remove it temporarily to see if that helps your situation. And why did you raise the voltage on your RAM if there were no issues?/quote]

I was told on another forum that it might be the issue because it was high preformace ram it might be unstable at the original voltage. but it didnt work so I changed it back. Also that microsoft page looked interesting I think I do remember using the keyboard then it happend but im not 100% sure. Also, it says it is fixed in service pack 2? and I already have that I should have explained that earlier. I dont think it was the tv card as it was doing it before i put that it, it is a really weird problem because I know I have direct x on there but it doesnt seem to detect it.

Oh and is the BSOD caused by my building?

Thanks for your quick replies too

#5 ·
This bulletin came out after SP2 (8/29/2007). If you read the bulletin carefully, it implies that SP2 might fix the problem but for those instances where the problem persists, you have to contact MS directly and request a hotfix via completing a form and submitting it:

Hotfix information
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451 (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451)

#6 ·
I don't have the time to get much involved with this, but I've heard that asus has very big problems with their 780i chipsets motherboards, might be because of that.

And now we're talking serious problems.

Sorry I can't be much of an help, maybe tomorrow =)

#7 ·
I don't have the time to get much involved with this, but I've heard that asus has very big problems with their 780i chipsets motherboards, might be because of that.

And now we're talking serious problems.

Sorry I can't be much of an help, maybe tomorrow =)
Interesting... It would be great if you could help tomorrow. Also xpolony thanks for that. I should read more carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.