1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD on a new build.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nichtsicher, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nichtsicher

Nichtsicher Thread Starter

Hey guys, Ive just built a pc and I keep getting bsod's I was wondering if I could get any answers as to why its doing this and if it was my fault do to a mistake in putting it all together, so i still get warenty. I did follow the instructions very very carefully and read numerous guides before doing the build. Its at a pc shop now because I couldnt work out how to fix it but the shop is incredibly slow so I thought id ask here in the mean time.

So far to try and fix the issue ive ran 2 mem tests for 10 hours each which have retuned no errors. Formatted and re installed windows about 3 times, ive installed different versions of windows off different cd's just to see if it was my windows cd's. Ive opened it up and checked all connections and looked on the motherboard for any obvious damages. I also upped the voltages to the ram from 1.8 to 1.9v. All tempatures are fine aswell. I also updated the BIOS

Also in a rather curious twist when I installed my tv card and tried to load the app bundled with it to use it it returns the error 'fail to build, direct x required' but when i used the same cd and card in a different machine it works fine. Formatting and re-installing windows didnt work

I have an error code from the memory dump
    Stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x805dd987, 0xb5eedbb8, 0x00000000)
    also it says the problem or error was caused by wink32.sys
    I also noticed that the processes that have caused the crash have been different once it was messenger the other time firefox etc

Sorry for not having the full details of the dump but its at the shop atm

here are the specs of my PC

cpu: Intel Core 2 Extreme qx9650 3.0ghz fsb 1333 12mb l2 cache
    mobo: Asus Striker II Formula n780i SLI 3PCIe
    Ram: 4gb Corsair twin2x4096-6400c5
    HDD: 500gb seagate 32m ST3500320AS
    GPU: ESS GF 8400Gs 256mb DDR2
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850w

thanks guys

2. v-6kedr

v-6kedr

1. try booting the computer in safe mode
    2. if safe mode works fine disable your hardware like, video card, NIC, sound card from device manager.
    3. remove any unsigned drivers for any hardware, refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308514/en-us

3. xponly

xponly

This Microsoft bulletin may be of interest: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834450/en-us
    Also, you have already identified a possible issue with your TV card so I would remove it temporarily to see if that helps your situation. And why did you raise the voltage on your RAM if there were no issues?

4. Nichtsicher

5. xponly

xponly

This bulletin came out after SP2 (8/29/2007). If you read the bulletin carefully, it implies that SP2 might fix the problem but for those instances where the problem persists, you have to contact MS directly and request a hotfix via completing a form and submitting it:

Hotfix information
    A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451 (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451)

6. the_man550

the_man550

I don't have the time to get much involved with this, but I've heard that asus has very big problems with their 780i chipsets motherboards, might be because of that.

And now we're talking serious problems.

Sorry I can't be much of an help, maybe tomorrow =)

7. Nichtsicher

Interesting... It would be great if you could help tomorrow. Also xpolony thanks for that. I should read more carefully

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice