1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD on completing installation- Vista Not Installing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jevans55, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jevans55

jevans55 Thread Starter

Hello there!
    Right, i have had this problem now for a week as i have struggled to install Vista Ultimate on a partition on my main internal harddrive. My goal is to dual boot so that at startup i can choose eith XP or Vista.
    I manage to get to the "Completing Installation" stage with no problems (pc restarting fine) but then where the progress bar stops and after 7 minutes or so the screen goes black and a blue screen of death appears for a couple of seconds until the system automatically restarts. The installation then claims unsuccessful and rollsback to XP.
    I turned off automatic system restart in the advanced startup optiosn and managed to get a look at the bluescreen (which i snapped a photo of and is below)

[​IMG]

The message on the bluescreen is "STOP: 0 x00000116" and there apears to be and error with the file "nvlddmkm.sys".
    The error seems to be a problem with my video drivers or video card (which has run faultlessly before) and all my computer has passed the upgrade advisor Microsoft provides.
    I have found some "solutions" on the internet that say that vista is not compatible with my drivers and i need to untinstall then and return to the default driver XP provides but i have tried numerous different stratagies to try and find a way around the blue screen. Different Vista installtions from Microsoft...checked drivers + updated all.... booting from DVD and maual setup activation and mounting iso to dvd- there is little i have left to try. I even tried deleting the file nvlddmkm.sys just before the completing installtion section of the installation by going to the Windows directory on the partition i am installing Vista on my XP account but i STILL had the smae bluescreen. I have tried to install the damn thing about 5 times!
    What i find odd is that i have previously managed to install Vista on Virtual PC and been successful but due to low harddrive space i uninstalled until i bought myself an external harddrive. This must mean that the there is no problem with the installtion itself and there is some sort of problem with my pc!

Anyway, it annnoyed me so much i made an account to come on this forum to find a solution. I don't usually post on forums- i usually solve the problem by looking at the other posts! I have no idea if u have any threads already on this topic but i found little when i searched google. Computer specifications are below and i will try my best to answer any questions you have.
    Thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bios : Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    Chipset : VIA K8T800 Pro
    Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2400 MHz
    Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
    Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5600 [NV31.2]
    Device Audio : VT8233/A AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
    Hard Disk : Maxtor (164 GB)
    Hard Disk (external) : Maxtor (320 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : DVDRW IDE 16X
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

You are right, according to other forums it is the Nivdea drivers are causing the issue.
    Did you install the correct Vista video driver. Do NOT install XP drivers as those are not compatible with Windows Vista as Vista uses a new user/kernel modes for video drivers to improve 'stability' (or not in this case). Use the drivers supplied by the manufacturer, not generic nvidea drivers.

3. jevans55

jevans55 Thread Starter

Thank you pjhutch for the quick reply.
    I uninstalled my drivers so that i returned to the default driver provided by XP and then attempted some installations of Vista compatible Nvidia drivers. Some were obviously made to be installed whilst on Vista so they failed (as i was on XP at the time). This leaft me with the Nvidia drivers for XP that are meant to be compatible with Vista.
    You say i should not use the XP drivers but "those provided by the manufacturer", what do u mean by this? Apologies but i dont know which drivers u mean. Which manufacturer?

4. pjhutch

pjhutch

Sorry, When I mean manufacturer I mean that sometimes the name on the box which the card comes in uses their own drivers which may be slightly different from the generic ones.
    If non are provided then the generic ones by Nvidea may be ok (although the early drivers by nvidea have been rubbish and were slower than XP drivers):

Links:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_10#DirectX_10
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/default.mspx

5. jevans55

jevans55 Thread Starter

Thanks for explaining and your help, will try to find some older drivers and use them long enough to install Vista. Its so aggravating that the installation process was deemed "seamless" and i find that i am in the minority where problems occur.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice