1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD on fresh Vista install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pingo, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just formatted an reinstalled vista 64 and updated my drivers and the BIOS, and then during surfing I get a BSOD with tech. info:

*** STOP:0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80001F143C4, 0xFFFFFA60017E7A28, 0xFFFFFA60017E7400)

Does this make sense to anyone??

Thankful for any tips!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There's a generic set of suggestions here >>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx

But if we can find a non Microsoft driver, that would simplify it >>

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

>> ram can be tested in Vista by running mdsched.exe -- read the additional info when it opens..

3. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

hey, thanks for the reply..

It so happens that i've given my computer to a pc repair shop, since my lack of competence left me unable to find a decent solution. I hope those guys are more skilled than I:)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good luck; I'm sure they will test the hardware effectively.

5. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

Hi there,

I got the computer home from the so called "repair shop". Thay said it was a faulty RAM. I bought a new set of 4 Gb RAM, and of course i got another set of BSODs half an hour into the run of my pc.

i've now done as you said, Rollin' Rog and copied, zipped and attached to this reply the last fresh dumpcheck files... I hope you can do better than the "shop"...

When I run memtest i get a yellow writing that says windows has discovered hardware errors etc.... and that i should boot from OS cd and run repair... it also does not load the OS after memtest is done, and it refers to the code 0x000000023....

The pc is brand new!:( how could it be hardware error?

Attached Files:

6. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

here I got some more recently crashdump files attached.

I tried to do the bugcheck myself, but Win debugger seem to block me out of the files. I t says that access is denied?? any tips?

Attached Files:

7. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

When I run the Windows memtest it immediately says in yellow letters that hardware error is spotted... Then I did a little experiment: i changed the RAM's over to the other pair of ports, as I got 4 of them. Then I started mem test again. Now it discovers no HW error...

What can I conclude here? that one of the ports on the motherboard may be faulty??

8. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

Update: The pc has now run fairly stable for about 8 hours after i changed to other RAM ports: one BSOD has apperaed...

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here are the last 4 on the 17th >>

So up to then, it is still looking like a memory issue -- but this could be caused by hard drive corruption I believe as well. Has chkdsk been run on the drive? It appears to be referencing the paging file when this fault is generated.

2 of the 4 dumpchecks also referenced USB hardware, but this may be coincindental.

10. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

Hi rolling Rog... After I Changed the RAM over to the other pair of RAM ports, i have literally been BSOD free for about 10 hours now..

I have run chkdisk but I don't know where to find the log file...

I could also mention that my hdd runs like mad for about 5 minutes after the desktop has been loaded... i don't know why, and i don't think it should be doing that... There is some system volume information prosess and a pagefile.sys writing like hell when i check which processes are running on the disk in the performance surveillance...

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you have bad ram slots on a board, I would return it because this problem may and most likely will continue to grow as this syetm isn't old. This may well still indicate incidentally that the ram is incompatible because that fact doesn't always show up the day you change the ram. The only ram you mentioned, Ocz, I have never founf to ever work in a system and would not even think of buying. Buy only from a site that can guaranty a specific model number for your motherboard such as www.kingston,corsir or crucial.com. If the mfgr doesn't have a configurator, I don't even bother with them as the newers the system these days the worse the issues.

12. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

Ok.

If I understand you correctly: The OCZ RAM is very ofte not compatible with motherboards?? so Why do they produce them? Where can you find validation that the RAM you've bought is compatible with your specific motherboard? And what does mfgr mean?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

mfgr=manufacturer
    One thing that makes Ocz really difficult is they manufacture nothing, they are a distributor.
    Even if you find a model that might work with your board, it may change from one manufacture to the next.
    www.crucial.com
    www.corsair.com
    www.kingston.com
    simply put in the model of your motherboard or brand name pc and model number and they will show you what the make that is compatible with that system. Crucial actually guarantees a match.

14. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

Really!

I didn't know this, thanks for the clearance.:)

15. pingo

pingo Thread Starter

I finally found the chkdsk log file in the eventviewer, and it came out clean. no files in damaged sectors.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/789923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice