BSOD on laptop (Windows 10)

enigmadragon

Phil
I got tired of the Linux stuff, so I bought a caddy I comes today. I'm having a b!tch of a time getting the screws of the back though. I'm even using my power drill and I can't get them out. Anyone know an easier way to get them off? I'm mean It's like if I take them off the computer is considered dead.

enigmadragon

Phil
You need a set of tech tool screwdrivers.
example: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdriver-Magnetic-Professional-Electronics/dp/B074M8NBZQ
I have a set similar to this as well as jeweler's screw drivers and other small screwdrivers.
I also have a set of star and hex sets.
Very nice I'm not sure if a tool set would help I mean there in there like Thor put them in there. I'm thinking of taking it to a local computer shop and asking if they can take them out.

managed

Allan
Probably some sort of Torx/Security screws, if so you need a special screwdriver/bit for those.

plodr

Liz
The only PC I was never able to get apart was an IBM. Every other screw was 'special". I called two people I knew who worked for IBM and both knew about the special tool needed but neither had access to one.
Every other computer, and I've owned 16 so far, I've been able to remove the screws with a combination of different tools. (I don't like strangers opening my computers.) I've also dismantled computers for friends when I've added parts for them.

In fact, I had to get a keyboard on a laptop replaced. I took it to a small mom and pop shop. He opened the laptop in front of me and I watched while he replaced the keyboard. I brought the old keyboard, with 1 broken key home with me. So I have a spare if something happens to the replacement.

managed

Allan
Apple use a 'special' screw on their laptops, called a pentalobe (because it has 5 sides).
You need to buy a special screwdriver to unscrew them. Typical Apple !

enigmadragon

Phil
Well the local computer shop took out all but two of the screws, I messed up the last two screws myself tying to get them out it only cost me $10. Anyone know how to get warped screws out of a computer?

Last edited by a moderator:

managed

Allan
I've edited you last post for profanity, this is a family friendly site and we don't allow bad language in any form.

As for your problem you could try to drill the heads off those screws, just be careful you do not damage anything else.

Last edited:

enigmadragon

Phil
Does anybody know what kind of drill bit to use to get the last two screws out? I looked up on google and it said to use a cobalt steel drill bit, and I looked up on Amazon but what I'm really asking is should I get one that looks like an arrow head or just the regular drill bit?

enigmadragon

Phil
Regular steel bit drill about the same size of the head or slight bigger
Are you sure a regular steel drill bit will work? Because I googled what to use for a screw and it said to use a cobalt steel drill bit.

managed

Allan
Cobalt steel drill bits are quite expensive, I would try an ordinary cheap bit first and only get the expensive one if that doesn't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online